Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


ARCHIVED: On a Mac, how do I change my startup volume or boot from an alternative volume, disc, or device?

Choose the option below that best fits your situation:

  • Permanently changing your startup volume: While running in Mac OS X, select System Preferences... from the Apple menu, and then choose Startup Disk. Choose your startup volume and then restart. Unlike with the other options in this list, this new volume will be the default until you change it.

  • Accessing the startup manager: Restart your computer and immediately press the Option key. Icons for all available startup volumes will appear. Use your arrow keys to select the one you want to boot from, and then press Return.

  • Booting from the recovery volume: In Mac OS X 10.7 and later, restart your computer and immediately press Command-r. The computer will boot from your Recovery HD volume, which will allow you to perform diagnostics or reinstall the operating system.

  • Booting from a startup CD or DVD: Restart your computer and immediately press the  c  key. The computer will look for a bootable CD or DVD and, if it finds one, will use it as its startup device.
This is document ages in domain all.
Last modified on December 05, 2012.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.