Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


ARCHIVED: What are hackers and crackers?

Originally, the term "hacker" described any amateur computer programmer who discovered ways to make software run more efficiently. In a broader sense, hacker describes anyone who writes computer programs, modifies computer hardware, or tinkers with computers or electronic devices for fun. Hackers will "hack" on a problem until they find a solution, always trying to make their equipment work in new, more efficient ways.

Due to sensationalized depictions in films and other modern media, the popular definition of hacker has changed to describe a person who maliciously breaks into computer networks with the intent to snoop, steal data, or tamper with files.

Legitimate hackers resent the association of the term hacker with criminal activity. They use the term "cracker" to describe someone who breaks into networks. "Phishers" are similar to crackers. A phisher tries to trick users into giving sensitive information such as government ID numbers, credit card numbers or account passwords; see What are phishing scams and how can I avoid them?

This is document agwt in domain all.
Last modified on April 06, 2009.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.