At IU, what are Exchange accounts, and how do I get one?Using the Microsoft Exchange service, IU Exchange accounts provide email, calendaring and scheduling, and other administrative activities (e.g., contact lists, to-do lists, tasks) for faculty, staff, and sponsored hourly employees and graduate students. UITS recommends the Microsoft Outlook email client for access to IU Exchange accounts; Outlook supports all of the services available via IU Exchange. Additionally, Outlook Web App provides a web-based interface for access to your IU Exchange account.
You need an ADS domain account before you can get an Exchange account. To check the status of your current accounts, visit the Account Management Service (AMS) at:https://itaccounts.iu.edu/
Manage my IU computing accounts. Log in with your IU
Network ID, click
Continue, and then click
view your accounts. In the resulting list, check to see that
"Active Directory Service" is listed. If not, click
accounts and follow the instructions to create your ADS domain
Important: When you open an Exchange account, all mail coming from other Exchange users goes directly to your Exchange account, ignoring your preferred address (e.g., Cyrus/Webmail). To avoid overlooking mail that may be in your Exchange account, you can do any of the following:
- Frequently check your Exchange account.
- Set your preferred address to your new Exchange account; for help,
see At IU, how do I choose my primary email address and preferred email account?
- Set a forwarding rule on the Exchange server using the Outlook Rules Wizard; for help, see In Microsoft Outlook for Windows, or in Outlook Web App (OWA), how do I automatically forward all of my IU email to another address?
Request an Exchange account
Request an Exchange account as follows:
Faculty or full-time staff members: Request an
Manage my IU computing accounts. Log in with your Network ID (if necessary), click
Continue, and then click
create more accounts. Follow the instructions to create an Exchange account.
Part-time employees and graduate students: Ask
your full-time staff or faculty sponsor to make the request for you as
described below; this person could be your
department's local support provider (LSP).
- Affiliates: Sponsors can request an Exchange account when making the affiliate account request. If this is not done, the affiliate will need to have to have the sponsor contact the accounts administration office; see Submitting requests.
If you cannot create an Exchange account using AMS, your sponsor can submit a request to the appropriate accounts administration office.
Note: At IPFW, contact your campus Support Center.
All requests need to meet the following criteria:
- The email request is sent from the sponsor's account.
- The message clearly states the request for an Exchange account.
- The request includes the new account holder's username and university status.
Note: Requests cannot be processed if any of the above information is missing.
Last modified on March 26, 2013.