Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


ARCHIVED: What is Symantec/Norton AntiVirus software, and where can I get it?

Note: For information about Symantec's newer antivirus product, see ARCHIVED: What is Symantec Endpoint Protection?

Symantec/Norton AntiVirus (SAV for Windows, NAV for Mac OS X) is a virus protection program distributed by Symantec Corporation, offering effective protection features including infected file quarantine, online virus protection updates, and an automatic scheduler. SAV/NAV starts up with your operating system, and runs in the background. It checks all vulnerable files for infection by viruses and worms by looking for their identifying signatures and comparing them to known viruses it has on file. When it detects an infected file, it notifies you and manages the infection according to your preferences.

SAV/NAV software is available to Indiana University students, faculty, and staff free of cost via IUware.

To keep your antivirus software running effectively:

Additionally, local support providers (LSPs) can set up a Symantec Endpoint Protection Enterprise server to deploy Automated Virus Definitions to the computers they administer.

This is document agzf in domain all.
Last modified on January 03, 2013.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.