ARCHIVED: In Microsoft Office, how do I add and use Equation Editor?
In Office 2008 and 2004, Equation Editor is not always part of the typical installation. To add Equation Editor, follow the appropriate instructions below; you will need the installation CD or the files you downloaded from IUware.
On this page:
Office 2008 and 2004
Note: In Office for Mac, the Equation Editor is
typically installed by default. To check to see if it is installed,
see the following path location, replacing
with the version of Office you have installed:
If it is not installed already, to add Equation Editor:
- On the desktop, double-click the
Microsoft Office 2008or
Microsoft Office 2004icon.
Note: If you are installing a copy downloaded from IUware, you should have a
.dmgfile on your desktop. Usually, Mac OS X will automatically mount this file. If it doesn't, double-click the
.dmgfile to mount it and start the install process.
- The setup window will offer one or two installation options,
depending on which version of Office you are installing:
- The first option is available in both Office 2008 and 2004. In
Office 2008, it is labeled
Office Installer. In Office 2004, it is labeled
Office Setup Assistant. Follow the instructions below to use one of these tools.
- The second option is available only in Office 2004, and is labeled
Office 2004. To install all Office 2004 applications and components (such as the Equation Editor), drag and drop this icon into your
- The first option is available in both Office 2008 and 2004. In Office 2008, it is labeled
- Run the
Office Setup Assistantor
Office Installer, following steps 1 through 4 in the installation.
- If you are prompted to select your installation location, either
choose the location of a current Office installation, or select the
location you'd like to use for a new installation.
- In the box of customizable options, click the arrow next to
Office Toolsand select
To use the Equation Editor in an Office application
- Open the desired Office application.
Insert, and then
- In the list of Object types, choose
Microsoft Equation(this will open the Equation Editor).
- In the
Equation Editorwindow, form your equation; when finished, click the red
Xin the upper right to close the window.
- After a moment, the equation will appear in the application.
Last modified on January 07, 2013.