Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


At IU, what SSH/SFTP clients are supported and where can I get them?

Secure FTP (SFTP) is a means of transferring files securely using SSH. It is functionally similar to FTP, but FTP clients cannot communicate with SFTP servers. If you need to transfer files with a host that requires an SFTP connection, UITS and the University Information Security Office (UISO) recommend the following:


  • PuTTY is an open-source command-line SSH interface; for more, see the PuTTY home page. Download PuTTY from the publisher.
  • WinSCP is an open-source GUI client for downloading and uploading files (FTP and SFTP); for more, see the WinSCP home page. Go to, and download the latest installation package.

SSH Communications Security has discontinued support for non-commercial versions of SSH Secure Shell. As a result, SSH Secure Shell is no longer available for download from IUware or the SSH web site.

Mac OS X

  • Cyberduck is a donationware program for Mac OS X 10.4 and later. Go to the Cyberduck home page, and download the latest installation package.
  • OpenSSH is a command-line SSH suite for Unix. It is packaged with Mac OS X and accessible through the Terminal.
This is document ahjh in domain all.
Last modified on February 27, 2014.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.