Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


Using screen, why can't I re-attach to my session after a lost connection?

In some cases, your previous screen session may not have detached properly when you lost your connection. If this happens, you can detach your session manually.

To see your existing screen sessions, enter: screen -list This will display a list of your current screen sessions. For instance, if you had one attached and one dead screen, you would see: There are screens on: 25542.pts-28.hostname (Dead ???) 1636.pts-21.hostname (Attached) Remove dead screens with 'screen -wipe'. 2 Sockets in /tmp/screens/S-username. To detach an attached screen, enter: screen -D If you have more than one attached screen, you can specify a particular screen to detach. For example, to detach the screen in the above example, you would enter: screen -D 1636.pts-21.hostname Once you've done this, you can resume the screen by entering the screen -r command.

(In the above example, the dead screen isn't causing problems, but you should probably enter the screen -wipe command to get rid of it.)

At Indiana University, for personal or departmental Linux or Unix systems support, see At IU, how do I get support for Linux or Unix?

This is document ahrm in domain all.
Last modified on August 22, 2008.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.