At IU, how can my department sell items through its web site?
Indiana University departments are authorized to accept credit card payments via the web under the following conditions:
- The transaction is an approved revenue-producing activity (IU Policy I-450). Contact the Office of the Treasurer for approval.
- The IU Office of the Treasurer approves web-based payment for your department.
- Your department follows the guidelines established by the Treasurer and the IU Webmaster.
- You sell only university-related goods and services.
If these criteria are met, your department can set up an Ecommerce site and use one of the IU-approved web payment applications:
- IUPayPlus is the university-supported method for IU merchants to obtain authorization for credit card payments for purchases made from their Ecommerce sites.
- TransformEPIUPayPlus is a web form processor similar to Transform that connects to IUPayPlus for web payment processing.
- Volusion is the IU-approved enterprise shopping cart application.
These applications process web payments through VeriSign's Payflow Pro software, which is supported by PayPal. To begin the process:
- Contact the IU Office of the Treasurer:
- Visit the Office of the Treasurer's web site.
- Read about credit card processing over the web and electronic commerce at the Office of the Treasurer's Electronic Payments page.
- Call the IU Office of the Treasurer at 812-855-0586, or contact Payment Card Services to get answers to your questions about becoming an IU merchant.
The Office of the Treasurer will set up IU Merchants with the appropriate financial institution and register them with PayPal. The Office of the Treasurer will provide for initial and ongoing training as well as overall management of transactions. University policies, practices, and fees governing credit card payments will apply.
- If you do not already have one and you wish to use
TransformEPIUPayPlus, apply for an Information Provider account on
Webserve. This account name is required for merchant
identification purposes, and will also give you access to the
university-supplied software you need for TransformEPIUPayPlus. You
can find information on applying for accounts at Web Accounts on
If you need assistance with this process, contact the IU Webmaster.
For general information about applying for a central web server account, or to find out more about services offered by the IU Webmaster, see the IU Webmaster.
Last modified on January 05, 2013.