ARCHIVED: In Outlook Express for Windows, how can I find someone's email address?
Many directory services on the web, such as Yahoo, offer people
searches. These allow you to find someone's email address using part
of the person's name (for example, just the first name), the company
the person works for, or part of the email address (for example, if
you know the address includes
Outlook Express incorporates many of these directory
services into its address book search.
To go to the address search in Outlook Express, follow the instructions below:
- Click the
Addressicon at the top of the screen. If this button is not available, from the
Toolsmenu, you can select
- When the address book opens, click the
Find Peopleicon. This will open the search window.
- From the drop-down menu, select the directory service you want to
- This will display two tabs to use to search:
Peopleto do a basic search with the person's name or email address.
Advancedto set search rules using first name, last name, organization, etc. You can set these rules by selecting from the drop-down menu, typing a search string, and then clicking
You may find that not all servers will have the Advanced feature.
To search for names in the Indiana University Address Book at IU Bloomington, you need to add IU's LDAP server to the Outlook Express list of search servers. To do this, follow the instructions below:
- Open the Outlook Express address book as described above.
- From the
- You will see a list of directory services. Click the
Addbutton, and then select
- When the program prompts you for an LDAP server, type
ads.iu.edu. Also, make sure that the checkbox
My LDAP server requires me to log onis checked. Click
- Enter your username and password. Your username must have
ads\in front of it, for example: ads\username
- You will then see the option "Do you want to use this service to
check addresses?". Select
Yes, and click
- You will now be back at the
Internet Accountswindow. Select the
ads.iu.eduentry and click
Propertieswindow will open. Select the
- Under "Server Port Number", check
This server requires a secure connection (SSL). Then, in the field next to "Directory Service (LDAP):", change the number from
- In the "Search base:" field, enter:
Note: There are no spaces after the commas.
- You will now be back in the
Internet Accountswindow. Click
You can now use IU's Address Book to search for people by first name
Advanced tab, according to the directions above.
Last modified on March 31, 2010.