Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


ARCHIVED: What is the Common Object Request Broker Architecture?

The Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA) is a set of specifications designed to support platform- and language-independent, object-oriented distributed computing. Similar in purpose to Microsoft's Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM), CORBA is a middleware technology, serving to connect diverse components of a software system. However, while DCOM is a proprietary technology, CORBA was devised by an assembly of over 800 corporations in the computing industry known collectively as the Object Management Group (OMG). The primary mission of the OMG is to support open standards, thereby encouraging interoperability between systems regardless of platform or implementation language. For example, CORBA makes it possible to integrate a legacy code base written in COBOL with a newly developed C++ application. A CORBA component written in Java and running under Linux can communicate seamlessly with another component written in C and running under Windows.

An Object Request Broker (ORB) is a software package that implements the CORBA standard. Some notable ORBs are:

This is document ajvh in domain all.
Last modified on November 01, 2008.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.