ARCHIVED: Using Outlook 2003 and earlier to schedule meetings and reserve rooms
Note: If your departmental conference rooms have been converted to the Exchange 2007 resource room object type (this includes all UITS rooms), you should instead follow the instructions in ARCHIVED: Scheduling meetings at IU using Exchange 2007 resource rooms. If you are unsure, contact your LSP (local support provider) or departmental room coordinator.
On this page:
- How to schedule a meeting
- Revising meeting details after a meeting is scheduled
How to schedule a meeting
At Indiana University, you can use the Calendar function in Microsoft Outlook to invite attendees to a meeting, and to reserve rooms and resources (e.g., projectors or other devices your department provides within the Microsoft Exchange environment). To schedule a meeting in Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003:
- In Outlook, from the
New, and then
Meeting Request. The
Untitled - Meetingwindow will appear.
- Click the
- Complete the "Meeting start time:" and "Meeting end time:" fields
at the bottom of the window. You can easily change these. To view
other possible days and time, use the horizontal scroll bar.
- If you know the usernames of those you wish to invite, enter each
username in the "All Attendees" column. Assuming they've set their
permissions so you can view their calendars, the attendees'
availability will appear.
Alternatively, to search for an individual, click
Add Otherson the lower left, and then click
Add from Address Book...(this will search the GAL [Global Address List]). As you begin to enter the person's last name in the "Type Name or Select from List:" field, possible matches will appear in the "Name" list below. Double-click the correct name, and it will appear in the "Required ->" field.
- Repeat either of the above processes for each individual you wish to invite.
Reserving a room and other resources
Add Otherson the lower left, and then
Add from Address Book.... In the "Type Name or Select from List:" field, enter your department or building abbreviation. Again, this searches the GAL. In the resulting list, you can view all possible rooms and resources.
- Double-click to select any rooms you wish. Enter multiple rooms if
you wish to view their availability; you can delete them before
confirming the meeting. All rooms you select will appear in the
"Required - >" field. Click
- Follow the same procedure for any other resources you wish to
- All individuals, rooms, and resources will be listed in the "All
Attendees" list under the
Schedulingtab. Verify the date and time of your meeting, and delete any rooms or resources you don't wish to use.
- If you know the usernames of those you wish to invite, enter each username in the "All Attendees" column. Assuming they've set their permissions so you can view their calendars, the attendees' availability will appear.
- Click the
Appointmenttab. The attendees, including the room you chose, will be listed in the "To..." field. Complete the "Subject:" field with a title for your meeting. Enter the room building and number in the "Location:" field; this ensures that attendees will see the location on their Outlook calendars without having to click the meeting name.
- To set a meeting reminder, select the
Remindercheckbox, and make your reminder selection from the menu.
- In the large field in the lower part of the window, you can write
a message to the meeting's attendees.
- To send the message and complete the meeting request, click
Send. You should receive confirmation of the room reservation by email, as well as an acceptance or decline message from each attendee.
Revising meeting details after a meeting is scheduled
Note: Only the meeting organizer can make changes to a meeting.
If you need to change meeting plans after your meeting is scheduled, do the following:
- Open the meeting in your Calendar and use the instructions above
to make any needed adjustments (e.g., meeting time, room).
- Under the
Appointmenttab, in the text field in the lower half of the screen, compose a message to attendees advising them of the changes.
Save and Close. You will be prompted to send the updated meeting to attendees. Click
The revised meeting will appear on your Calendar.
Last modified on August 27, 2012.