ARCHIVED: In the Oncourse Original Test and Survey tool, how do I develop questions for my test or survey?
Note: The Original Test and Survey tool is no longer available; see About the retirement of Original Test and Survey.
Developing questions and other content is only one of the steps involved in creating a test or survey; see ARCHIVED: In the Oncourse Original Test and Survey tool, what steps are involved in creating a new test or survey?
To create test content, you'll use the Original Test and Survey tool's Question Editor. Despite the name, the Question Editor also creates explanatory or introductory text (i.e., inline text) as well as separators (i.e., Section Breaks) to divide test material into logical sections. Oncourse treats each instance of these content elements as a separate "item".
The Original Test and Survey tool offers seven types of questions for tests and six types of questions for surveys; see ARCHIVED: In the Oncourse Original Test and Survey tool, what question types are available for tests? and ARCHIVED: In the Oncourse Original Test and Survey tool, what question types are available for surveys?
To create a test content item, from within the Original Test and Survey tool's Question Editor:
- From the drop-down menu at the far right, choose the kind of item
you'd like to add (i.e.,
Section Break, or one of the test or survey question types).
- Click the blue plus sign to the left of the drop-down menu.
- In most cases, this will launch a screen where you can enter the
text of your question and any other necessary material. The format is
slightly different for each content type:
- The tool assigns a default point value for each question. In most cases, the default point value is one. For multiple correct answer questions, the default point value is one for each correct answer. You can change that point value in the screen where you create the question, or you can update it later.
- The fields marked "Skill", "Category", "Comments", and "Topic" are optional.
- When you've finished entering the material, click
OK. This will return you to the main Question Editor window, with your new content included below the buttons and fields.
The Original Test and Survey tool assigns two numbers to each item, which display once you've created your new item:
- The first number is the item's current display order for the test,
which appears to the left of the item content and also in the box at
the top left, under "Question Editor". If you rearrange the order of
questions and other items in your test, this number will change.
- The second number is the item's Oncourse ID number, displayed to the right of the item content. You can use this number later if you decide to reuse this question in another course.
Last modified on August 16, 2012.