Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


ARCHIVED: In Microsoft Excel, how do I turn a row into a column or vice versa?

In an Excel worksheet, you can use the Paste Special function to cut and paste data from a row to a column or from a column to a row:

  1. Select the data cells you want to switch. You can select the whole row or column if you wish.

  2. In Office 2010 or 2007, in the Home tab, in the "Clipboard" section, select Copy.

    In earlier versions, from the Edit menu, select Copy.

  3. Select the upper left cell of the paste area. The paste area must be outside the area containing the data you want to switch. For example, if you are switching data in a column in cells A1 through A5, the paste area cannot overlap with any cells in A1 through A5. One possibility in that case is to use B1 through F1 for the paste area; to do that, you would select cell B1.

  4. In Excel 2010 or 2007, from the Home tab, see the "Clipboard" section. Click the arrow below "Paste", and then choose Paste special.

    In earlier versions, from the Edit menu, select Paste Special.

  5. The Paste Special dialog box will open. Select Transpose, and then click OK.

The information in this document is adapted from the Excel help files.

This is document akwu in domain all.
Last modified on July 03, 2012.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.