ARCHIVED: Using Spybot - Search & Destroy, how do I scan my PC to remove spyware?
To scan your Windows computer using Spybot - Search & Destroy:
Note: You may decide to run Spybot in Safe Mode. Some experts recommend this; others say it's not necessary. See ARCHIVED: In Windows, how can I boot into Safe Mode?
- Open Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Note: If you are using Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 or 1.4, you may wish to change a setting before proceeding.
Check for problemsto start scanning your computer.
- Be patient while Spybot scans your computer; it may take a long
time. As it scans, Spybot builds and displays a list of problems it
finds on your computer.
- When the scan is done, select all the items on the list and click
Fix selected problems. If it finds no problems on your computer, Spybot will display the message "Congratulations! No immediate threats were found".
- Spybot will prompt you to confirm the removal of the selected
Yes. If Spybot could not fix all problems, you will see the message: "May Spybot - S & D run on your next system startup?". If you see this prompt, click
- After the objects are removed, Spybot will confirm the number of
problems fixed. Click
- Close the program. If you ran Spybot in Safe Mode, restart your computer to return to normal startup mode.
Last modified on March 31, 2010.