At IU, what is Unified Messaging Service (UMS)?
At Indiana University, Unified Messaging Service (UMS) integrates voice messaging with your email account, letting you store voice messages in your mailbox along with your email. With UMS, you can access your voice messages using an email client or via your telephone with the telephone user interface (TUI).
You can choose from three account types when your account is set up:
Unified Messaging Service:
- If you use Exchange, voice messages are automatically delivered to your email account. Notification for voice messages will appear in your email inbox (not on your phone).
- You can access your calendar and listen to your email from a telephone when you are away from the office.
Voice mail only with web access:
- You can create a "Forward Copy" rule from the web page if you want to forward a copy of voice messages to your email inbox.
- You can have a message-waiting light (recommended only if you don't wish to receive messages via email).
- You can listen to messages and set rules from the web page, but you cannot listen to email or check your Outlook calendar.
Voice mail only, no web access:
- Access is by phone only. The message-waiting light indicates when you have voice messages.
UMS provides several advanced applications unavailable with traditional voice mail:
Me: Sets your phone calls to follow you to designated
Forwards specific callers to designated phone numbers
Me: Sets inbound phone calls to notify you of specific
types of incoming calls, or sets your phone calls to notify you of
specific callers' voice mail messages. Use this to send text messages
to cell phones or pagers.
Not Disturb: Redirects certain calls to your voice mail
so you're not disturbed
Greeting: Sets a text greeting for specific callers
- Forward Copy: Forwards a copy of your voice mail to an email address
Once you have your UMS account, visit the UMS web page for more information and to access these applications.
For information about setting up a UMS account, see:
- Getting started with UMS for IUB or IUPUI faculty and staff
- Getting started with Unified Messaging Service (UMS) voice mail for IUB or IUPUI campus housing residents
Last modified on April 23, 2014.