Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


ARCHIVED: At IU, how do I use the Central License Service?

Data Management Services (DMS) at Indiana University offers centralized FLEXlm licensing services for ESRI (ArcGIS), Leica Geosystems (ERDAS), and Research Systems Inc. (ENVI) software products. DMS manages a two-server Unix system to provide automated failover capability. The primary FLEXlm license server for GIS and remote sensing software is Licet. This system resides alongside other Indiana University mission critical systems in the Wrubel Computing Center machine room. It is administered by the Research and Technical Services (RATS) group with the Research and Academic Computing (RAC) division of University Information Technology Services (UITS). The secondary license server, Caliburn, is located on the IUPUI campus.

DMS controls access to the centralized license services using a librarian file or option file. This file lists hostnames, usernames, or IP numbers of users granted access to licenses on the service. Before attempting to use the centralized license service, you must contact a GIS Specialist by sending email to  to provide this information about your system.

Before installing ENVI, ERDAS, or ESRI software that requires FLEXlm licensing, verify that the following line is included in your system's DNS suffixes: For information about how to add DNS suffixes, see the Knowledge Base document In Windows 8.x and earlier, how do I change the DNS and WINS server IP numbers?

This is document aorc in domain all.
Last modified on November 01, 2008.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.