Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


In SPSS, how do I convert between numeric variables and string variables?

In SPSS, to convert a numeric variable to a string variable, use the STRING() function. Since the default variable type in SPSS is numeric, you need to define your string variable in advance. Consider the following example:

STRING str (A8). COMPUTE str = STRING(num, F2.0). EXECUTE.

In the example above, A8 indicates a string variable eight characters long, and F2.0 is the format of output values of variable num. For example, F8.4 fills four zeroes after the decimal point when the numeric variable num is an integer.

To convert a string variable to a numeric variable num, use the NUMBER() function, for example:


If you have questions about using statistical and mathematical software at Indiana University, email UITS Research Analytics (formerly known as the Stat/Math Center). Research Analytics is located on the IU Bloomington campus at Woodburn Hall 200, and is open for consultation by appointment Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. For more, visit Research Analytics on the web, or call 812-855-4724 (IUB) or 317-278-4740 (IUPUI).

This is document aoym in domain all.
Last modified on January 10, 2014.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.