Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


ARCHIVED: In Mac OS X, if I have disabilities, what options are available to make my computer easier to use?

If you have disabilities or have difficulty seeing, hearing, or controlling your computer, you can use the Universal Access preferences in Mac OS X to set custom preferences that may make your computer easier to use.

To get to the Universal Access preferences, from the Apple menu, select System Preferences... . In System Preferences, from the View menu, select Universal Access.

Items you can change include the following:

  • Switch the screen to black and white, or make other contrast enhancements.

  • Choose to make the screen flash when an alert sound occurs.

  • Zoom in on the screen image to make it appear larger.

  • Make the computer read aloud the text on the screen when you move the pointer over an item in the Finder, Dock, or application toolbar.

  • Make the mouse functions available through the keyboard.

  • Turn on Sticky Keys or Slow Keys to help you control the keyboard.

  • Turn on Mouse Keys to control the pointer using your numeric keypad.

In addition, you can find settings in the Displays, Sound, General, and Speech panes of System Preferences that may help you use your computer.

For more information about Universal Access, search Mac Help. With the Finder active, from the Help menu, select Mac Help.

This is document apkn in domain all.
Last modified on December 05, 2012.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.