Indiana University
University Information Technology Services
What are archived documents?

Login is for authorized groups (e.g., UITS, OVPIT, and TCC) that need access to specialized Knowledge Base documents. Otherwise, simply use the Knowledge Base without logging in.


In Stata, how do I change the path to user-written ado files?

By default, Stata for Windows uses the c:\ado directory for user-written ado files. You can list Stata's system directories by executing the .sysdir command:

.sysdir STATA: C:\Program Files\Stata11\ UPDATES: C:\Program Files\Stata11\ado\updates\ BASE: C:\Program Files\Stata11\ado\base\ SITE: C:\Program Files\Stata11\ado\site\ PLUS: c:\ado\plus\ PERSONAL: c:\ado\personal\ OLDPLACE: c:\ado\

If you need to change the default path, run the .sysdir set command. Suppose you store Long and Freese's SPost module in the e:\ado\plus directory of a memory stick or flash card. You would then need to run the following command:

.sysdir set PLUS "e:\ado\plus" or .sysdir set PERSONAL "e:\ado\plus"

Stata will then find user-written commands in the e:\ado\plus directory.

If you have questions about using statistical and mathematical software at Indiana University, email UITS Research Analytics (formerly known as the Stat/Math Center). Research Analytics is located on the IU Bloomington campus at Woodburn Hall 200, and is open for consultation by appointment Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. For more, visit Research Analytics on the web, or call 812-855-4724 (IUB) or 317-278-4740 (IUPUI).

This is document arur in domain all.
Last modified on January 13, 2014.

I need help with a computing problem

  • Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
  • Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
  • All fields are required.

Please provide your IU email address. If you currently have a problem receiving email at your IU account, enter an alternate email address.

I have a comment for the Knowledge Base

  • Fill out this form to submit your comment to the IU Knowledge Base.
  • If you are affiliated with Indiana University and need help with a computing problem, please use the I need help with a computing problem section above, or contact your campus Support Center.