At IUB or IUPUI, how do I request a static IP address?
At Indiana University Bloomington and IUPUI, most computers have dynamic IP addresses assigned by DHCP. UITS recognizes that in some situations DHCP assignment of IP numbers is either highly impractical or impossible. Commonly acknowledged exceptions to DHCP assignment include departmental servers, printers, client systems with static IP assignments (public or private) for hardened security situations, and devices that are unable to run a DHCP client.
At IU Bloomington or IUPUI, if you need a static (i.e., permanent) IP address, first check with your department's computing support provider. If you do not have a departmental support provider, send your request to:
Include the following information:
- A justification for your request (i.e., why you need a static IP
- Fully qualified domain name
- Device type (printer, server, etc.)
- Type of address (public or private)
- Primary contact (IU Network ID username)
- LSP or secondary contact (IU Network ID username)
- Subnet and/or physical location of the device
Last modified on September 19, 2013.