Where can I learn more about podcasting at IU?
On this page:
- General information
- IU Podcast Portal
- iTunes U
- Playing podcasts
- Creating podcasts
- Encoding podcasts
- Podcasts currently being produced at IU
- Podcasts in Oncourse
For general information about podcasting, see What is podcasting? For information about using podcasting technology in the classroom, see the Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning's (CITL) Podcasting for Instruction.
IU Podcast Portal
The Indiana University Podcast Portal is the central gateway for podcasts produced at IU. For more, see:
- What is the IU Podcast Portal?
- How do I request an account on the IU Podcast Portal?
- What are the minimum system requirements for using the IU Podcast Portal?
- Using the IU Podcast Portal, how do I subscribe and listen to podcasts?
- Using the IU Podcast Portal, how do I edit data or change artwork for an existing podcast?
- Using the IU Podcast Portal, how do I edit or delete a podcast episode?
- Using the IU Podcast Portal, where do I administer my podcasts?
- How can I get help or report a problem with the IU Podcast Portal?
Note: For policy information on podcast content at Indiana University, refer to University Information Policy Office (UIPO) University-wide IT Policies. In particular, see Appropriate Use of Information Technology Resources.
IU has signed an agreement with Apple to make podcasts more readily available to students, faculty, and staff at IU. iTunes U provides access to university information and Oncourse course content directly through iTunes. For more, see What is iTunes U?
Note: Two types of iTunes U sites are available at Indiana University. iTunes U Private sites require IU Network ID authentication and are accessible via Oncourse; these sites are set up by course instructors and cannot be seen by the general public. IU has also launched an iTunes U Public site, accessible via the iTunes Store and searchable by users worldwide without authentication. To make your podcast available to the public, add the iTunes U tool to your Oncourse site, and then fill out and submit the iTunes U Request Form. For details about iTunes U Public, see Courses and Collections in iTunes U Public.
To watch a tutorial about subscribing to podcasts in Oncourse using iTunes, see IT Training's Podcasts: Subscribe to a Podcast Using iTunes.
For those wishing to produce high-quality podcasts with professional production values, UITS Media Design & Production and IU Radio & Television Services offer full media production services for both audio and video podcast creation.
To learn how to use GarageBand or Audacity to create your own podcasts:
GarageBand: In iTunes, subscribe to the video
podcast tutorial on how to create and publish podcasts using
- Open iTunes, and then select
- In the search bar, enter
learn to podcast.
- From the list that appears, select
Learn to Podcast by Apple Computer, and then click
- From the menu on the left, select
Podcasts, click the arrow next to "Learn to Podcast", and then double-click a podcast episode title to watch it.
- Open iTunes, and then select
- Audacity: Watch Recording a Podcast, IT Training's tutorial on how to record a podcast using Audacity.
To ensure your audio or video podcast episodes will play on the greatest number of devices, it's important to encode your files into the correct format (MP4 for video, MP3 or AAC for audio only). The following applications are cross-platform, completely free, and let you encode virtually any file into a format acceptable for podcasting:
Podcasts currently being produced at IU
Several groups and individuals affiliated with IU already produce podcasts, available on their web sites. Following is a small selection (for more information about a podcast or to download one, click the appropriate link):
- IU Jacobs School of Music: Podcasting Page
- IU School of Medicine: Sound Medicine
- Marching Hundred: Marching Hundred Podcasts
- WFIU: On-Demand Audio and Podcasting
- WIUX: WIUX LP 99.1 FM: Pure Student Radio
- IUPUI: IUPUI Impact
Podcasts in Oncourse
Faculty can provide podcast content in Oncourse.
For information about using the Podcasts tool in Oncourse, see:
- Oncourse Podcasts: Overview
- Using Oncourse Podcasts, how do I download or subscribe to a podcast?
- Using Oncourse Podcasts, how do I add, edit, or delete a podcast?
- Using Oncourse Podcasts, how do I manage access to my podcasts?
- Using Oncourse Podcasts, how do I edit information about the RSS feed?
To watch a video demonstration on how to publish a podcast in Oncourse, see IT Training's Publish a Podcast Using the Oncourse Podcasts Tool.
Last modified on April 05, 2013.