Imail and Umail
Important: Microsoft has migrated Indiana University Imail mailboxes from the Live@edu service to the Office 365 service. Consequently, to log into your IU Imail account, you must access it from the Office 365
- Go to
- In the "firstname.lastname@example.org" field, enter your Imail address (e.g.,
usernamewith your IU Network ID username).
- In the "Password" field, enter your Imail vendor password.
If you do not know your Imail vendor password, see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail? If you have trouble logging into your IU Imail account, try clearing your web browser's cache and cookies, or use a different browser. For more, see Handling Imail or Umail login problems.
Indiana University students have two options for email and other online communication services: Imail (powered by Microsoft) and Umail (powered by Google).
Eligibility and creating accounts
All students are eligible to create Imail and Umail accounts by following the appropriate instructions below:
- If you're a newly admitted student, create an Imail or Umail
account using the Starter Kit; see About creating first computing accounts for admitted students, faculty, staff, and affiliates.
- If you're currently a student, create an Imail or Umail account by
using the Account Management Service (AMS); see At IU, if I already have some computing accounts, how do I get others?
You can create both an Imail and a Umail account, but you must choose one account for your preferred email address.
IU faculty and staff are not eligible for Imail or Umail accounts.
Things to consider
If you create an Imail or Umail account:
- Your full IU email address will contain
your Network ID username and your campus domain
regardless of the system you choose, because your preferred email
address determines where you receive IU mail. Your reply-to address,
however, will reflect the mail service you have chosen (e.g.,
- You are required to establish an IU email account and read email
sent from IU faculty and administration; see official communications information.
- You will manage your mail account settings, such as your preferred
email address, through the Account Management Service (AMS).
- While you are an enrolled student, advertisements will not appear
in the IU-customized systems. After you graduate, you will have the
option of keeping your account, at which time ads will appear.
- Any accounts with Google Gmail or Microsoft email that you already have or create in the future will remain separate from your Umail or Imail account.
Important: Many students are employed in some capacity by Indiana University and use email in their employment, either to communicate with their co-workers and supervisors or to carry out their job responsibilities. Because Imail and Umail accounts are hosted by vendors external to IU, student employees may use these accounts to conduct university business only if they do not receive or transmit any sensitive data via these accounts. See Student use of email for work-related purposes.
The Support Center provides help for all IU mail systems, including Imail and Umail. Both Microsoft and Google also offer 24/7 support.
Last modified on November 11, 2013.