At IU, how can my department set up a wireless network?
At Indiana University, departments must apply for an exemption from
University Information Technology Services (UITS) before
setting up a mobile or temporary wireless network, or a wireless
network without a direct Ethernet connection to the campus
network. To request an exemption, email
email@example.com . For more information
about IU policy regarding wireless networks, see policy IT-20,
Wireless Networking, available from the University
Information Policy Office (UIPO).
Once your department's exemption is approved, follow the instructions provided by your wireless device's manufacturer to configure the device as follows:
- Use a Service Set Identifier (SSID; i.e., network name)
other than the reserved IU SSIDs (IU Wireless, IU Secure, and IU Guest).
- Use WPA or higher encryption with a pre-shared key or
other approved authentication method.
- If your device supports AES encryption, use it; otherwise, use
- Use a wireless channel that does not conflict with nearby UITS
wireless access points. Based on your proximity to UITS access points, UITS network engineers will provide suggestions for free wireless channels.
- If your wireless network is intended only for a specific group of devices, configure the network to accept connections only from the MAC addresses of those devices.
Last modified on May 03, 2013.