ARCHIVED: In Symantec Endpoint Protection, how do I schedule automatic updates and virus scans?
To schedule regular updates for Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP):
- Launch SEP, and on the left, click
- On the right, next to the "Client Management" category, click
- On the
Scheduled Updatestab, make sure
Enable scheduled automatic updatesis selected.
- You can now schedule a specific time for updates to
occur. UITS recommends setting the "Frequency" to
Daily. When you are done, click
To schedule a recurring virus scan in Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP):
- From within SEP, click
Scan for threatsand then
Create a New Scan.
- In the
What To Scandialog box, select one of the following types of scan to schedule:
- Active: Scans the areas of the computer that viruses and security risks most commonly infect. (Completes in one or two minutes)
- Full: Scans the entire computer for viruses and security risks. (Includes network drives; may take an hour or longer to complete)
Custom: Scans the selected areas of the computer
for viruses and security risks. (Allows you to select which drives,
folders, or files are scanned) If you select this option, click
Nextand select the locations you wish to scan.
- If you would like to create a virus scan that runs periodically,
At specified timesand click
- Choose from among the scheduling options. UITS recommends weekly
- Name your scan, type a description, and then click
Last modified on January 07, 2013.