ARCHIVED: In the Oncourse Original Test and Survey tool, what do the various feedback settings display to the student?
Note: The Original Test and Survey tool is no longer available; see About the retirement of Original Test and Survey.
In the Original Test and Survey tool, you can give your students many types of feedback, depending on the feedback settings you choose. To access Feedback Settings:
- From the menubar in your course site, choose
Original Test and Survey.
- Under "Class Tests and Surveys", from the drop-down menu, choose
the assessment for which you wish to edit the feedback settings, and
- From the Test Menu, choose
Settings Menu, and then choose
Unless you override the Feedback Settings with Access Control Settings (see Access Control Settings) below, feedback is shown to the students immediately after they submit the assessment. Be sure to carefully consider the ramifications of displaying the questions and/or correct answers immediately. If there is a long time window for taking the assessment, you probably won't want to display the correct answers as part of the students' immediate feedback if you are assessing students' learning, although you may want to if your main goal is student self-assessment. Check the box(es) next to the type(s) of feedback you want to display to your students:
- The Question Text: Displays the questions
- The Student's Responses: Displays the student's answers
- The Correct Answers: Displays the correct answers
- The Default and Custom Comments: Displays the question- or answer-level comments you can enter when creating questions
- The Student's Score: Displays the student's automatically generated score on the assessment (may not reflect the student's true score if short answer or fill-in-the-blank questions are included in assessment)
A Custom Message: Displays a custom message. You
can give the students further instructions, let them know when the
assessment will be graded if there are portions that cannot be graded
If you check the box next to
A Custom Message, enter the message in the box labeled "Message".
Under "Finish URL", you can enter a URL where the students will be taken after they have reviewed their responses. If you leave this blank, the students will be taken to the start page.
When you are finished, click
OK to save your settings or
Cancel to exit without saving.
Access Control Settings
In the ARCHIVED: Access Control Settings, you can
Disable Student Access to Test Results. If you
check this setting, students will not see any of the
feedback items, including the questions and answers, immediately after
submitting the assessment. They will only see the Custom Message and
the Finish URL if those have been defined. If you want students to
receive immediate feedback, including everything you have checked
under Feedback Settings, be sure this setting is not
Last modified on August 16, 2012.