In Oncourse, how can I link to a lynda.com video segment?
At Indiana University, students, faculty, and staff can access online educational materials, including videos, through an agreement with lynda.com; see About the IU-lynda.com agreement.
You can link to lynda.com video segments within any Oncourse tool that supports links (e.g., Resources or Assignments). However, users must authenticate to the service before they can access any specific links. To allow them to authenticate, set up two different links, as follows. Be sure to communicate to your audience that they need to visit the authentication link first.
- Make a link to allow authentication:
- Visit lynda.com
- Right-click the "Go to Lynda.com" link, and choose
Copy shortcut...(Internet Explorer) or
Copy Link Location(Firefox).
- Paste the link in your desired location. In Oncourse, in a
tool using the rich-text editor, click the
Insert/Edit Linkicon in the rich-text toolbar. In Resources, see Working with web links in Resources.
- Visit lynda.com Online Training.
- Create a link to a specific segment of a lynda.com course:
- Navigate to any lynda.com course, and click to start any video. A
new browser window will open.
- Click the address field in the browser window's title bar, or press
and drag to highlight the URL.
- Right-click and choose
- Paste the link into the desired location.
- Navigate to any lynda.com course, and click to start any video. A new browser window will open.
When users click the authentication link within Oncourse, they will automatically authenticate to lynda.com's IU service based on their IU Network ID credentials. Subsequently, clicking a link to a video segment will take them directly to that video.
Last modified on January 10, 2013.