About Box at IU
On this page:
- About the service
- Main features
- Getting started and how to find help
- More information
- About Box and Internet2
About the service
The IU Box service provides a simple, secure way to store and share files and folders online. Box consolidates your content in a single location, easily accessible from anywhere, on any device. You can create files and folders, share them using a direct link, invite others to collaborate, and continue to revise and review your content. Though similar in appearance to other consumer services such as DropBox, Box can directly integrate with existing IU systems (e.g., accounts, CAS for single sign-on with your Network ID) and security.
Important: Box at IU is designed as a flexible storage service and collaboration tool, but is not acceptable for any institutional data classified as "restricted" or "critical". The service is appropriate for personal files and institutional information classified as public or university-internal. See Classifications of Institutional Data and appropriate data for Box at IU.
- View files of many types, including images and audio/video; for a full list, see Box support's What file extension types can be viewed by Box's Content Preview?
- Access content through all major web browsers (i.e., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari) and through mobile devices running iOS, Android, and BlackBerry
- Access through Microsoft Office applications (Windows only)
- Share files and folders while controlling the level of access others have, with a range of permissions from view-only to full editing and collaboration rights
- Comment on files
- Create simple workflows using assigned tasks
- Sync files between your desktop and other devices, and access them even when offline
Enterprise Box accounts are available to all current students, faculty, and staff.
Group accounts are not available at this time.
Getting started and how to find help
- Getting started with Box at IU
- How do I securely set up my enterprise Box account?
- For Box at IU, where can I get help?
- For video tutorials, visit the Box YouTube channel or register for instructor-led online training.
- See the Box Customer Success Corner.
- Enterprise Box help menu
- How does Box compare to other enterprise and commercial storage services?
- Educause's Above-Campus Services: Shaping the Promise of Cloud Computing for Higher Education
- Internet2 Box announcement
- Internet2 Box FAQ
- Box's Security white paper
About Box and Internet2
Box is a commercial online content storage, sharing, and collaboration service offering free personal Box accounts to the public since 2005. Box is part of the Internet2 NET+ Services program that provides "above the network" services to Internet2 member organizations, including higher education, government, and industry. Internet2 chose Box after reviewing many storage and file management services.
Box and Internet2 have partnered to provide enterprise (university-wide) Box service to Internet2 member institutions that are also InCommon subscribers, for an additional fee to the institution. A group of early adopter institutions, including IU, partnered to pilot the enterprise service.
The enterprise Box support content available here is a result of a collaborative effort by the Internet2 early adopter institutions.
Last modified on May 17, 2013.