ARCHIVED: At IU, what are the usage standards for LISTSERV?
Note: IU retired its LISTSERV system in spring 2012, replacing it with IU List, a new mailing list service. See What is IU List, and how do I use it?
UITS provides the following usage standards for all LISTSERV mailing lists and the LISTSERV server at Indiana University:
- In most cases, list members must consent to being on your list(s). List owners must comply immediately with requests from subscribers to be removed from lists. Exceptions to this rule include cases where class instructors or IU offices use LISTSERV lists comprised of, for example, students in a class, students of a particular major, or staff in a particular department.
- Lists may not attempt to address the entire IU community, nor any large group of individuals for which the list owner is not administratively responsible. No mass unsolicited mailings are allowed. Under no circumstances may addresses from IU LISTSERV lists be compiled, collected, or used for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, other than mail regarding the topic of the list. The copyright to the subscriber list in its entirety is held by the list owner(s). None of a list's addresses may be used for mass mailings (spam) or databases without the express written permission of the individual subscriber. All lists are deemed to be private, regardless of how the Review keyword is configured.
- All lists must be owned or sponsored by an individual with an active IU Network ID. By agreeing to own an IU LISTSERV list, the owner assumes the responsibility of day-to-day monitoring and operation of the list. It is the owner's job to ensure that the list continues to run smoothly, that it adheres to university policies, and that the stated objectives of the list are followed. Also, the owner is expected to be the subscribers' contact when problems or questions regarding LISTSERV arise.
- By default, all new IU LISTSERV lists are created with a send
Send= Private. This means only those subscribed to the list may post to the list.
Note: UITS strongly recommends using either
Send= Editor,Hold,Confirmin your list configuration. For more, see ARCHIVED: On my LISTSERV list, what does the Send keyword do, and what are the possible settings? and ARCHIVED: On my LISTSERV list, what security settings are available?
- A "-L" suffix will be added to all IU list names (e.g.,
NT-DEMO-L). LISTSERV administrators reserve the right to name lists appropriately.
- List names may contain only the letters A through Z, the numbers 0 through 9, and a hyphen. List names may contain up to 32 characters, but UITS strongly recommends that you keep the name within the range of 8 to 12 characters.
- Subscribers agree to hold UITS and the list owners harmless for any opinions expressed on a LISTSERV mailing list. Opinions stated do not necessarily reflect the opinions of IU, UITS, or the list owners.
- List owners are expected to state the specific purpose and
participation guidelines of their lists in a welcome message to new
subscribers; see ARCHIVED: On my LISTSERV list, how do I create welcome and farewell messages? Subscribers will
receive at least one warning from the list owner when their postings
fall outside the stated guidelines. If a subscriber continues to post
inappropriately, the list owner may remove or moderate the subscriber
at the owner's discretion.
Complaints about the nature or requirements of guidelines established for a specific list should be discussed with the list owner. The University Information Policy Office is available should the list owner need advice, suggestions, or assistance regarding establishing appropriate guidelines.
- The copyright to an individual posting made to any IU LISTSERV list is held by the individual poster. The copyright to the compilation of postings to any IU LISTSERV list is held by the primary list owner or sponsor. Redistribution of the postings made to an IU list without the express written permission of the list owner is forbidden. All redistribution must include the original mail headers crediting the source of the material.
- To be valid, any request for redistribution of individual list postings, or any compilation of postings, must receive explicit approval from the copyright holder. Lack of response to a request is not considered an implied agreement.
This is document afbe in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2013-09-23 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.