In Windows 8.x, 7, and Vista, how do I change the DNS and WINS server IP numbers?
Note: For help navigating, see Getting around in Windows.
- Log into Windows as an administrator, and navigate to
the Network and Sharing center.
- In Windows 8.x and 7, click
In Vista, on the taskbar, select, and under "LAN or High Speed Internet", right-click and choose . ,
right-click or the name of your
wireless connection, and then choose the tab.
- On the tab, you should see a list below "The connection uses the following items:". Select and click below.
- By default, Windows will be set to obtain the DNS server's address
automatically. Change that to Internet
service provider (ISP).
Note: You can enter the third IUB DNS number in the window that appears after you carry out step 7 below.
At IUB, use the following numbers:
22.214.171.124 126.96.36.199 188.8.131.52
At IUPUI, use:
184.108.40.206 220.127.116.11 and enter the DNS numbers for your
- Click , and then click the tab.
At IUB, this list should include:
indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu
At IUPUI, include:
uits.iupui.edu iupui.edu indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu, and
click to add appropriate entries.
- Select the
At IUB, the WINS servers are:
18.104.22.168 22.214.171.124 126.96.36.199
At IUPUI, the WINS servers are:
188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206 220.127.116.11 tab. Click and enter the
appropriate WINS addresses:
- Click or in each open window to close it and save your changes.
This is document agof in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-06-02.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.