In Windows 8.x, 7, and Vista, how do I change the DNS and WINS server IP numbers?
Note: For help navigating, see Getting around in Windows.
- Log into Windows as an administrator, and navigate to
the Network and Sharing center.
Note: At Indiana University, the University Information Security Office (UISO) recommends that you normally refrain from running your Windows computer as an administrator. For more, see What is the principle of least privilege?
- In Windows 8.x and 7, click
In Vista, on the taskbar, select, and under "LAN or High Speed Internet", right-click and choose . ,
right-click or the name of your
wireless connection, and then choose the tab.
- On the tab, you should see a list below "The connection uses the following items:". Select and click below.
- By default, Windows will be set to obtain the DNS server's address
automatically. Change that to Internet
service provider (ISP).
Note: You can enter the third IUB DNS number in the window that appears after you carry out step 7 below.
At IUB, use the following numbers:
184.108.40.206 220.127.116.11 18.104.22.168
At IUPUI, use:
22.214.171.124 126.96.36.199 and enter the DNS numbers for your
- Click , and then click the tab.
At IUB, this list should include:
indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu
At IUPUI, include:
uits.iupui.edu iupui.edu indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu, and
click to add appropriate entries.
- Select the
At IUB, the WINS servers are:
188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206 220.127.116.11
At IUPUI, the WINS servers are:
18.104.22.168 22.214.171.124 126.96.36.199 tab. Click and enter the
appropriate WINS addresses:
- Click or in each open window to close it and save your changes.
This is document agof in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-06-02.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.