In Windows 10, 8.x, and 7, how do I change the DNS and WINS server IP numbers?
- Log into Windows as an administrator, and navigate to
the Network and Sharing center.
Note:For help navigating, see Getting around in Windows.
- In Windows 10, right-click
In Windows 8.x and 7, right-clickor the name of your wireless connection, and then choose the tab. or ,
and then choose the tab.
- On the tab, you should see a list below "The connection uses the following items:". Select and click below.
- By default, Windows will be set to obtain the DNS server's address
automatically. Change that to Internet
service provider (ISP). You can enter the third IUB DNS number
in the window that appears after you carry out step 7 below.
For the numbers to use for various IU campuses, see DNS name server addresses and client configuration at IU. and enter the DNS numbers for your
- Click , and then click the tab.
At IUB, this list should include:
indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu
At IUPUI, include:
uits.iupui.edu iupui.edu indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu
At IU East, include:
iue.edu indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu
At IU Kokomo, include:
iuk.edu indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu
At IU Northwest, include:
iun.edu indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu
At IU South Bend, include:
iusb.edu indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu
At IU Southeast, include:
ius.edu indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu
At IUPUI Columbus, include:
iupuc.edu indiana.edu iu.edu ads.iu.edu, and
click to add appropriate entries.
- Select the
At IUB, the WINS servers are:
184.108.40.206 220.127.116.11 18.104.22.168
At IUPUI and all other campuses, use:
22.214.171.124 126.96.36.199 188.8.131.52 tab. Click and enter the
appropriate WINS addresses:
- Click or in each open window to close it and save your changes.
This is document agof in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-08-14.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.