ARCHIVED: In Microsoft Outlook 97 and 98, how can I make my Personal Address Book listing appear above the Global Address List in the Address Book?
Note: The software discussed here is no longer in common use at IU, and UITS may no longer be able to verify this text's accuracy; additionally, the UITS Support Center may no longer have the materials needed to adequately support this software.
Note: UITS may no longer be able to verify the accuracy of information regarding Windows versions of Outlook older than 2000, and may not have the materials necessary to support them. Therefore, UITS recommends that you upgrade to a current version. At Indiana University, you can download a current version of Microsoft Office for Windows, which includes the current version of Outlook for Windows, from IUware. If you are in a department or using a Macintosh Outlook client, contact your local support provider (LSP) or the UITS Support Center before upgrading or changing your software.
In Microsoft Outlook 97 and 98, the order in which you install services controls the order in which they appear. To make the Personal Address Book appear first, you must install it before installing the Exchange Server service. If both are already installed, remove the Exchange Server service and reinstall it. If only the Exchange Server service is installed, remove it. Next install the Personal Address Book service, and reinstall the Exchange Server service. More detailed instructions are as follows:
- From the menu, select , and then .
- Double-click .
- Click . Select the profile you use and click .
- Click , and from the resulting list, select , and then click .
- A default filename will appear. You should use the default, although you can change the name of the address book and the file in which it is stored. Click .
is not already on the list of services,
install it. To do this, follow these steps:
- Select and click .
- Click , choose from the list, and then click .
- A dialog box will appear. Specify your Exchange server and
username. At Indiana University, enter
ads.iu.edu. If the "User name:" field is blank, enter your IU Network ID username. In most cases, this information will still be there, and you won't need to enter it again.
Note: This selection may also appear as. .
- Select the tab.
- Select PPP, dial in before using Outlook), and then click . (if you are using
- Launch Outlook. To verify the changes, open the Address Book and view the menu.
This is document ahes in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2012-08-27.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.