ARCHIVED: At IU, how do I configure Outlook Express for Windows to read my mail on the Cyrus mail system?
Important: As of April 8, 2014, Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP with security updates. To ensure the highest security standards, the UITS Support Center no longer registers Windows XP devices to the IU network. UITS strongly recommends that you look into the options for replacing or upgrading your Windows XP computers for full compatibility with IU systems. See About end of life for Windows XP.
Important: On August 15, 2014, the IU Bloomington and IUPUI modem pools were retired. If you are affected by this retirement, you can find a new Internet service provider by searching online or in the yellow pages.
On this page:
Note: If you only need to update a previously working Outlook Express 6.x for Windows configuration to work with the SMTP authentication requirements at IU, you can download a utility to do this from IUware.
Using the Internet Connection Wizard
Microsoft Outlook Express uses the Internet Connection Wizard to help you configure your email accounts. If you've never used Outlook Express for email, the Internet Connection Wizard should start the first time you launch Outlook Express. If you've already configured your account and wish to reconfigure or add another account (or if the Internet Connection Wizard fails to start), you will need to manually start the Internet Connection Wizard. To do so, in Outlook Express, from the menu, select , and then click . Select to start the Internet Connection Wizard and continue following the directions below:
- You will be prompted for your "Display name". Enter your full name and click .
If you are unsure of your exact IU email address, see At IU, what is my email address?, enter your Indiana University email address, and click
- For the incoming mail server type, select
imap.iu.edu. . For the
name of your incoming mail server, type
In the "Outgoing" or "SMTP" server field, type:
- Type your username. If you wish the system to remember your
password (only recommended for computers that are physically secure),
enter your password. Otherwise, deselect the
My Cyrus Account), and a "Connection type:". Choose the connection type as follows:
- If you wish to dial up automatically when you start Outlook Express, choose ARCHIVED: About campus modem pools. . If you have an existing dial-up connection you'd like to use, click the radio button next to . Select the connection you wish to use from the list, and then click . To create a dial-up connection, see
- If you usually connect with Dial-up Networking or the communications software available from IUware before you start Outlook Express, choose .
- If your computer has a direct Ethernet connection, choose .
checkbox. Leave the checkbox deselected. In Outlook Express 4 (but not
5 or 6), it will also prompt you for a "Friendly name:" (enter
something you associate with the server and account, such as
- Click IMAP account, click . , and then . If you are prompted to download the folder list for the
- From the menu, select . Highlight the account you just created.
- Click the
My IMAP Account. button, and then the
tab. Under "Mail Account", enter a name such as
- Click the tab, and, under the "Outgoing Mail Server" section, make sure the checkbox for is selected. Make sure the checkbox for is not selected.
- Click the tab, and, under both the "Outgoing mail (SMTP)" and "Incoming mail (IMAP)" sections, make sure the checkboxes for are selected.
Internet Accountsdialog box, you will be asked if you wish to download folders from the mail server you just added. Click . , then , and then
. When you close the
- You will be prompted for your password. Then you should see a connection screen confirming your download.
Show/Hide IMAP Folderswindow will appear. By default, all folders on your mail server are listed. Select all folders you do not wish to be displayed in Outlook Express and click . You can click the tab to confirm which folders will be displayed. Click .
- In the folder list in the left pane, you will see a set of Local Folders and a set of folders for each account you have set up. To read new mail for an account, click under the account name.
Don't save items to the Local Folder structure unless you want them saved only to the computer you are using at that time. Once you save an item to the Local Folder structure, the item is not accessible from the server or from other computers.
If you cannot send email, you may need to use a different port for
your outgoing server. If port 25 does not work, try port 465, and
vice versa. From the
465 or vice versa. If you still cannot
send email, contact your Internet service provider (ISP).
Editing an existing account
To edit an existing account configuration, from the
Internet Accounts window.
Seeing all your folders
If you have folders in IU Webmail that don't appear in Outlook Express:
- After following the steps above and making sure Outlook Express can download messages from your Inbox, right-click the account name in the folder list and choose .
- Click .
- Click each folder you would like to access, and then click . A folder icon will appear after each folder you subscribe to.
- When you're finished, click or at the bottom.
The folders will be listed under the Inbox; you may have to click the(plus sign) to see them.
This is document ahgm in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-06-24 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.