ARCHIVED: In Windows 8.x, 7, or Vista, how do I manually set up a wired network connection?
Note: If you live in campus housing at Indiana University Bloomington or IUPUI, do not manually configure your computer to connect to the IU network; instead, use Get Connected.
To manually set up a wired network connection in Windows 8.x, 7, or Vista, follow the instructions below. For specific information on the settings you need to use to connect to the IUB or IUPUI network, see ARCHIVED: At IUB or IUPUI, what information will I need to configure my Internet software?
- From the notification area, right-click the network connection icon and select .
- In Windows 8.x and 7, click ; in Vista, click .
Local Area Connection Statusdialog box that appears, click . . In the
- Click to highlight , and then click .
- Select IP address of your computer. , and enter the
- Enter the correct code for the "Subnet Mask" field.
- Enter the correct information for the "Default Gateway" field.
- Enter the correct information in the "Preferred DNS Server" field and the "Alternate DNS Server" field.
- Click , and then select the tab. Click to add a new DNS server.
- Type your DNS domain, and then click . Click again, and type a second domain.
- Click the WINS number. Click again, and enter the secondary WINS number. tab. Click , and enter the correct primary
- Click three times.
This is document ahsb in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-07-29 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.