ARCHIVED: In Windows, what is the notification area?
The notification area (also called the "system tray") is located in the Windows Taskbar, usually at the bottom right corner. It contains miniature icons for easy access to system functions such as antivirus settings, printer, modem, sound volume, battery status, and more. Hover over or click an icon to view and access details and controls.
The notification area is loaded by
SysTray.exe, and may
load the following icons:
- Battery meter
- Network icon
- PC card status
- Volume control
- Task Scheduler
Other parts of the system may provide additional icons, for example:
- Windows Explorer provides the printer status icon.
- Various email programs may provide the mail status icon.
The accessibility status indicator program (
Accstat.exe) displays keyboard accessibility icons.
- Microsoft Fax adds the Fax Rendering and Fax Status icons.
This is document aiat in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2013-01-03 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.