ARCHIVED: In Outlook Express for Windows, how can I find someone's email address?
Many directory services on the web, such as Yahoo, offer people
searches. These allow you to find someone's email address using part
of the person's name (for example, just the first name), the company
the person works for, or part of the email address (for example, if
you know the address includes
Outlook Express incorporates many of these directory
services into its address book search.
To go to the address search in Outlook Express, follow the instructions below:
- Click the icon at the top of the screen. If this button is not available, from the menu, you can select .
- When the address book opens, click the icon. This will open the search window.
- From the drop-down menu, select the directory service you want to use.
- This will display two tabs to use to search:
- Use to do a basic search with the person's name or email address.
- Use to set search rules using first name, last name, organization, etc. You can set these rules by selecting from the drop-down menu, typing a search string, and then clicking .
You may find that not all servers will have the Advanced feature.
To search for names in the Indiana University Address Book at IU Bloomington, you need to add IU's LDAP server to the Outlook Express list of search servers. To do this, follow the instructions below:
- Open the Outlook Express address book as described above.
- From the menu, select .
- You will see a list of directory services. Click the button, and then select .
- When the program prompts you for an LDAP server, type
ads.iu.edu. Also, make sure that the checkbox is checked. Click .
- Enter your username and password. Your username must have
ads\in front of it, for example:
- You will then see the option "Do you want to use this service to check addresses?". Select , and click .
- Click .
- You will now be back at the
Internet Accountswindow. Select the entry and click .
Propertieswindow will open. Select the tab.
- Under "Server Port Number", check
3269. . Then, in the field next to "Directory
Service (LDAP):", change the number from
- In the "Search base:" field, enter:
Note: There are no spaces after the commas.
- Click .
- You will now be back in the
Internet Accountswindow. Click .
You can now use IU's Address Book to search for people by first name on thetab, according to the directions above.
This is document ailo in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2010-03-31.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.