ARCHIVED: How do I configure Outlook Express 5.0 or 5.5 with Norton AntiVirus 2000 to use the email protection feature?
Note: The University Information Security Office (UISO) recommends that you run the latest version of Symantec virus protection software (available to IU students, faculty, and staff free of charge via IUware) for your operating system; See In Windows, how do I safely upgrade to the latest security software? Be sure to upgrade safely, update your virus definitions daily, and scan your computer weekly. Check the software help for instructions.
The email protection feature in Norton AntiVirus 2000 scans messages as they are being downloaded to your computer. This will give you immediate notification if a message has an infected attachment. This feature is available only for POP3 email clients, which are not compatible with Indiana University's servers.
There are special configurations that allow Outlook Express to work with this feature of Norton AntiVirus. Once you have properly configured Outlook Express, you can enable the email protection feature. To enable this feature, follow the instructions below:
- Click the button, and select . Select .
- From the menu, select . Select the tab. A list of accounts will appear. Select the account you want to configure by clicking it.
- Click the
Propertiesdialog box will appear. From the tab:
- In the field labeled "Type the name by which you would like to refer to these servers. For example: Work or Microsoft Mail Server", type a name for the account.
- In the "Name:" field, type your username.
- In the "Organization:" field, type the name of your organization. This field is optional.
- In the "Email address:" field, type your email address in the
- In the "Reply address:" field, type a reply address. This field is optional.
- Select the
- In the "Incoming Mail (POP3):" field, type the fully qualified name or IP address of your POP3 server.
- In the "Outgoing mail (SMTP):" field, type the fully qualified name or IP address of your SMTP server.
- In the "Account name:" field, type your account name, then
/(a forward slash) followed by your server name.
- In the "Password:" field, type your password. This field is optional.
Note: On the tab, the box is unchecked. Norton AntiVirus email protection will not work if this box is checked. For additional information, please refer to the
Readme.txtfile, which you can usually find in the
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirusfolder. tab:
- Click the button, and then click . From the menu, select .
- Click the button, and select . Select , and then again.
- Click the button. In the "Options" list, click , then check .
- In the "Protected email clients:" list, check , and then click .
- Exit Norton AntiVirus.
- Click the button, select , and then select .
IU users and anyone else who uses Outlook Express in IMAP mode can still protect their computers from viruses that spread via email attachments by enabling the autoprotect feature in Norton AntiVirus and setting it to scan files as they are created or downloaded. The main difference between having autoprotect scan created or downloaded files and the email protection feature is that email protection lets you know that an attachment is infected before you try to open it. With the autoprotect feature, you won't know whether an attachment contains a virus until you try to open it. Both options, however, will protect your computer from infection.
This is adapted from the Symantec knowledge base, document 1999120717064306.
This is document aisy in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2012-08-27.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.