ARCHIVED: In Windows XP, how can I change what sound my computer makes during startup?
Note: In Windows 8, 7, and Vista, you cannot change the actual startup sound. However, you can enable or disable it; see Enabling or disabling the startup sound, below.
You can control all Windows sounds through the
control panel. To change the sound heard during startup:
- From the
Note: If this doesn't match what you see, refer to Getting around in Windows. menu, select either ,
or and then .
- Click the icon, and then click the tab.
- Under "Program Events", select
.wavfile. If you don't want Windows to play any sound during startup, select from the drop-down menu. . You can
select a sound from the drop-down menu or click to
Enabling or disabling the startup sound in Windows Vista and higher
- From the
Note: If this doesn't match what you see, refer to Getting around in Windows. menu, select . Change to view, if necessary.
- Click . Under "Sound", click .
- Under "Program", click . To disable the startup sound, uncheck , or choose in the "Sounds:" drop-down menu. To enable the sound, check , or choose your desired sound from the "Sounds:" drop-down menu.
This is document ajgs in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2013-11-07.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.