In Mac OS X, how do I print over TCP/IP (the Internet)?
At Indiana University Bloomington, UITS provides a printer utility for Mac OS X that will automatically install Student Technology Center (STC) and Residential Technology Center (RTC) printers. For more, see How do I download, install, and use the IU Printer Finder?
Alternatively, if you are an IUB campus housing resident and prefer to manually connect your Mac OS X computer to your RTC's networked printer, see How do I manually connect my Mac OS X computer to the printers in the IUB STCs and RTCs?
To set up your Mac OS X computer to print to a networked printer over TCP/IP, change your settings as described below:
- From the Apple menu, select . In System Preferences, from the menu, select , , or .
- Click the (plus sign) to add a new printer, and in the new window that opens, click .
- Next to "Protocol:", select the protocol your printer uses. If you're not sure, try the default option.
- In the "Address:" field, type the hostname or IP number of the printer. As you type, your computer will search for printers with that number. Once you've finished, "Valid and complete address" will appear below the "Address:" field.
- To print to a specific queue, type its name in the "Queue:" field.
- Give the printer a descriptive name and location in the appropriate fields. Your Mac may guess what your printer is automatically, but if it doesn't, from the pull-down list beside "Use:" or "Print Using:", choose , , or , and then choose your network printer's model or series. If your printer is not on the list, contact its manufacturer and see if drivers are available for it.
- Click . Your computer may download and install your printer's software. Once it's done, a sheet of installable options will appear. Make adjustments here if you need to, and then click or .
- When your printer is installed, it should appear in the "Printers & Scanners", "Print & Scan", or "Print & Fax" window. To select a default printer if you have more than one installed, choose a printer from the list in the menu next to "Default Printer:".
This is document ajyd in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-02-19.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.