ARCHIVED: In Outlook Express 5 or 6 for Windows, how do I make a backup copy of my messages?
Note: The following procedure will save only the current contents of your account. To save new messages, repeat this process as needed.
To save a backup copy of your email messages to a folder on your computer in Outlook Express 5 or 6 for Windows, follow the steps below:
- From the menu, select .
- Select the tab, and then click .
- Highlight the entire folder location, and then press
Ctrl-cto copy the path.
Optionsdialog box, click again. . To close the
- From the desktop, click , and then .
- In the "Open:" box, to paste the folder location, press
Ctrl-v. Click .
Note: Your Inbox and subfolders should be listed in this window with names such as
imap0.iupui.edu - sent-mail.dbx. If you do not see some of the folders you've created, Outlook Express may be using IMAP. If so, you'll need to synchronize your mail folders first by using these steps:
- Open Outlook Express.
- In the left pane, highlight your mail account
- In the right pane, you should see a list of your folders. Select the checkbox next to for each folder you want to back up.
- In Outlook Express 6, click the modem connection. button. In Outlook Express 5, click the button. This may take a while, especially if you have a
- To return to the list of mail folders in step 6, press the
F5key on the keyboard. The folders you've synchronized should appear.
- In the window that appears, from the menu, choose .
Ctrl-cto copy the files, and then close the window.
- Right-click anywhere on your desktop, select , and then click .
- Type a name for your folder, such as
Mail Backup, and press
- To paste the files, open the folder and press
- To complete the process, close the window.
This is document ajyw in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2010-03-31.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.