ARCHIVED: In Windows XP Professional, why is the option to create a VPN connection unavailable?
IU Secure is the wireless network for students, faculty, and staff to access on all campuses. IU Secure uses WPA2 Enterprise (Wi-Fi Protected Access) for authentication and encryption.
In Windows XP Professional, if the option to create a virtual private network (VPN) connection is not available, you may not have the Remote Access Connection Manager service running. (Typically the option appears grayed out when it's not available.)
Additionally, Service Pack 1 (SP1) can sometimes conflict with the Remote Access Connection Manager. If you encounter problems (such as "Access denied" or "...failed to start" errors), either remove and reinstall SP1, or upgrade to the latest service pack; see ARCHIVED: What is Windows XP Service Pack 3, and how do I install it?
To determine if the Remote Access Connection Manager service is running on your computer:
- From the menu, select either , or and then .
- Double-click , and then double-click .
- Locate "Remote Access Connection Manager" in the list of
services. In the "Status" column, if the word "Started" does not
appear, the service is not running, and you will need to follow the
steps below to enable it.
Note: The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Telephony service to also be running. Locate "Telephony" in the list, and see if it also shows the word "Started" under "Status". If not, you must follow these steps for that service as well.
To enable the Remote Access Connection Manager (or Telephony):
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 above to open the
- Double-click (or ).
- In the resulting dialog box, in the drop-down list next to "Startup type:", choose . (This will make the service automatically start whenever you turn on your computer.)
- In the "Service status:" section, click .
Servicescontrol panel. , and then close the
The option to create a VPN connection should now be available.
This is document akuu in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2012-11-13 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.