New to technology at IU?
Are you new to the information technology environment at Indiana University? Here you'll find "getting started" info for students, faculty, and staff. See also the Top 10 technology tips for IU students.
On this page:
- First things: Your IU computing accounts
- Hardware and software
- Connecting in campus housing/from home and office/wirelessly
- File sharing
- Finding your class schedule and course information, registration, course listings
- Getting help from the Support Center
- Responsible use of computing resources at IU
- Secure computing
- Student orientation information
- Student Technology Centers
- Telephone and cable TV service
- Training: Available classes
First things: Your IU computing accounts
- Although specifics differ based on your status with the university, as an IU student or faculty/staff member, you are eligible for a full suite of IU computing accounts (e.g., email, file storage, research, departmental).
- Creating your first computing accounts - new students
- As a student, you can create your accounts yourself once you've been admitted to the university.
- Creating your first computing accounts - new faculty and staff
- As a faculty or staff member, you can generate your accounts yourself after your paperwork has been processed by IU Human Resources. Please note that you will normally need to wait to create your accounts until the morning after your employment record is entered into the university's human resources data system.
- Your email address at IU
- Sort out your options for email at IU, based on your campus and status with the university.
- Using your mobile device at IU
- Configure your mobile devices to access IU resources.
- About your IU passphrase
- Enrolling in Self-Service Passphrase Reset
- Sign up with this self-service system, and then you can reset your passphrase online.
Hardware and software
- ComputerGuide: Deals by vendor, recommendations, and common questions
- IU students, faculty, and staff can purchase hardware and peripherals at special prices, including deals from Apple, Dell, and Sony.
- Choose IUanyWare to stream software applications to your device, or IUware to download applications to your computer. Most software is available at no charge.
Connecting in campus housing/from home and office/wirelessly
- Campus housing
- Connect to the IU network from campus housing.
- Connect a computer or mobile device to a wireless network.
- If you connect through an outside ISP, VPN makes your connection more secure.
- File Sharing & Copyright
- Learn about how to protect yourself from problems with copyright infringement.
- Collaboration with Box at IU
- Simple, secure sharing of files and folders online.
Finding your class schedule and course information, registration, course listings
- About One.IU
- Use One.IU to check your personal information, view course listings, and register for classes.
- Canvas is a web-based learning management system developed by Instructure; see Canvas at IU help menu. (During the transition from Oncourse to Canvas, instructors may choose which environment to use to share course information.)
- Oncourse is a web-based instructional environment where faculty and students can publish and access course information, and store files. See Training and support for Oncourse.
Getting help from the Support Center
Can't find what you need? Need assistance with a computing question? Contact your campus Support Center.
Responsible use of computing resources at IU
- Your responsibilities as a computer user at IU
- As an IU computing account holder, you're responsible for using IU's computing resources appropriately.
- Computing policies at IU
- IU publishes policies covering account use, computing system use, email, Student Technology Centers and Residential Technology Centers, and more.
- Best practices for computer security
- Learn more about best practices for computer security.
Student orientation information
Student Technology Centers
- Student Technology Centers
- Locations, hours, equipment and software, reservations
- Classroom technology IUB | IUPUI
- Reserving rooms and equipment
Telephone and cable TV service
- Telephones Campus housing | Offices
- Request telephone service, if necessary
- Personal long distance calls
- Residential long distance service available through a partnership with MobileSphere.
- About cable TV service at IUB and IUPUI
- Cable TV service, part of your housing contract
Training: Available classes
This is document amgz in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-07-13 15:32:24.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.