ARCHIVED: Using Spybot - Search & Destroy, how do I scan my PC to remove spyware?
To scan your Windows computer using Spybot - Search & Destroy:
Note: You may decide to run Spybot in Safe Mode. Some experts recommend this; others say it's not necessary. See ARCHIVED: In Windows, how can I boot into Safe Mode?
- Open Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Note: If you are using Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3 or 1.4, you may wish to change a setting before proceeding.
- Click to start scanning your computer.
- Be patient while Spybot scans your computer; it may take a long time. As it scans, Spybot builds and displays a list of problems it finds on your computer.
- When the scan is done, select all the items on the list and click . If it finds no problems on your computer, Spybot will display the message "Congratulations! No immediate threats were found".
- Spybot will prompt you to confirm the removal of the selected objects. Click . If Spybot could not fix all problems, you will see the message: "May Spybot - S & D run on your next system startup?". If you see this prompt, click .
- After the objects are removed, Spybot will confirm the number of problems fixed. Click to continue.
- Close the program. If you ran Spybot in Safe Mode, restart your computer to return to normal startup mode.
This is document angd in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2010-03-31.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.