At IU, how do I configure ArcGIS for license service failover?
At Indiana University, UITS manages a two-server Unix
system to provide automated failover licensing support for Esri software. The
primary and secondary UITS-managed Esri license servers are
esri2, respectively. To ensure uninterrupted access to
the license service, UITS recommends that you configure
your computer for license server failover by creating a system
environment variable specifying the names and port numbers of the Esri
Note: You must have administrative rights to make the following changes to your computer; log in as an administrator if necessary.
Note: At Indiana University, the University Information Security Office (UISO) recommends that you normally refrain from running your Windows computer as an administrator. For more, see What is the principle of least privilege?
To configure ArcGIS for license service failover:
- From either the desktop or the menu, right-click , and then select .
- Click the tab, and then .
- To add a variable, under "System variables", click . The "New System Variable" window will appear:
- In the "Variable name" field, enter:
- In the "Variable value" field, enter:
Note: The semicolon (
;) at the end of the variable value is essential.
- To close each of the open windows, click .
To verify the license server variable is set correctly:
- From the menu, select or , then , and then .
- In the window that opens, at the prompt, enter:
- If the variable is set correctly, you should see the following
statement in return:
This is document aoro in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-01-02.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.