How can instructors view and use class rosters in the Faculty Center?
If you are the faculty of record for a class, you can use the Faculty Center to view class rosters. You will see only class rosters for those classes where you are listed as Primary, Secondary, or Associate Instructor; you won't see other instructors' rosters.
On this page:
- View a roster
- Format the roster
- Find a specific student
- Email students from the roster
- Save a roster as a spreadsheet
- Print a roster
- Problems viewing a class roster
View a roster
Note: The IUIE has electronic enrollment roster reports with more detailed student data (e.g., email address, student address, academic level) that can display in either PDF or spreadsheet format. See the academic officer for your unit if you do not have access to these reports in the IUIE.
To view class rosters:
- Click the icon.
- The Faculty Center will open to the current term. To access a roster for a different term, click the green button, select the appropriate term, and click .
- To display the specific roster, in the left column of the "My Teaching Schedule" grid, click .
You will see the following information on the "Class Roster" page:
- Catalog Subject (Dept) and Catalog Nbr (Course number): For example, MATH-M 118
- Class Nbr: Unique number assigned to class
- Session: For example, Regular Academic Session
- Course Career: For example, Undergraduate or Graduate
- Meeting Information: Days and times, room, instructor, and meeting dates
- Enrollment Status: The enrollment status defines
the Class Roster Type that the system displays for you. Your choices
for enrollment status are:
- Enrolled: Lists students who are enrolled in the class or withdrawn with a grade of W
- Waiting: Lists students on a waitlist for the class
- Dropped: Lists students who dropped the class within the first week of classes
- All: Lists all students
The default Enrollment Status is; to view a different type of roster, select the new value from the drop-down menu and click .
- Total Students: The total number of students for the enrollment type you selected
- Enrollment capacity: Displays maximum enrollment limit set for the class
You can view 100 rows of student data at a time for students of the enrollment type you specified. If there are more than 100 students, click the arrow button in the blue scroll area to display the next 100 students. The student information includes the following:
- Notify: Allows instructor to select a group of students to contact via email; used in conjunction with the button at the bottom
- Student ID: The student's ID
- Name: The student's name
- Send e-mail: Opens a new email message addressed to the student
- Grading Basis: The student's grading basis
- Units Taken: The number of units that the student took for the class
- Program and Plan: The student's primary academic program, major, and degree level
- Level: The student's academic level (e.g., freshman, sophomore, etc.)
Format the roster
You can change the order in which the Faculty Center displays course rosters:
- On the blue bar, click .
- In the left box, click the title of the column that you want to display first.
- Click the right arrow located between the two boxes.
- Verify that the selected column now appears at the top in the "Sort Order" box.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 until all of the columns you want to display appear in the "Sort Order" box.
- Click any remaining column name in the "Column Order" box.
- Click the box labeled "hidden" located between the two boxes.
- Repeat steps 6 through 7 as necessary.
- Click .
To reset the display to the default settings, click. Confirm by clicking , and then click .
Find a specific student
To find a student:
- On the blue bar, click .
- When the "Explorer User Prompt" dialog box appears,
enter a search string, such as a student's last name.
Note: If your Internet pop-up blocker is set to block all pop-ups, you'll need to turn it off or change the setting to allow them; refer to your browser help for instructions. For further assistance, contact your local Support Center.
- Click to search.
The student's name will display as the first name on the list of students on the roster.
Email students from the roster
As noted above, instructors can email some or all students from the "Student Detail" section of the roster. See the View a roster section above.
- To email an individual student, click from the "Student Detail" section.
- To email multiple students, check the box in the "Notify" column next to each student you wish to contact, and then click .
- To email all students, click .
Save a roster as a spreadsheet
Student data rows in the class roster are real-time data. To save the roster as a spreadsheet:
- On the blue bar, click the spreadsheet icon.
- When asked whether to open or save the file, select IT Pro for assistance in determining a secure location. . Place it in a secure location (i.e., not on your desktop or hard drive). Check with your
- When the "Download Complete" dialog box appears,
If you receive a Microsoft Excel message warning that the file is in a different format, click. .
- The spreadsheet will open; save it before exiting.
Print a roster
Print rosters by clickingat the top of the page. To format the roster before you print it, click at the bottom of the page, and then click .
Problems viewing a class roster
If you are unsure whether you are the faculty of record, or if you want that status changed, contact your campus Office of the Registrar.
Users with dual roles, such as student and faculty, might have problems viewing class rosters. In One.IU, if you click a student link before viewing a class roster on the same browsing session, your browser establishes a PeopleSoft session in student self-service mode. When that happens, the system blocks you from viewing information specific to the instructor mode, preventing access to class rosters.
To fix this problem:
- Close all browsers.
- Clear your browser cookies, cache, and history. For
- How do I clear my web browser's cache, cookies, and history?
- How do I view and control cookies in my web browser?
- Open your browser and log into One.IU again, clicking only instructor links.
If you continue having problems, contact your campus Support Center.
This is document aouq in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-01-20.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.