ARCHIVED: At IU, how can I use OneStart to enter grades onto my class roster?
On this page:
- Entering grades individually
- Entering grades from a prepared file
Note: As a faculty member at Indiana University, you can enter grades onto your class rosters in either Oncourse or OneStart. UITS recommends that for a single course you use one or the other, not both. To use Oncourse to enter your grades, see ARCHIVED: Using the Oncourse final grades gradebook.
Note: If grades were submitted by 10pm the previous day, students can view their grades in OneStart after 7am Monday through Saturday and after 8am on Sunday.
Entering grades individually
To enter grades onto your roster using OneStart, follow these instructions:
- Log into OneStart and select the appropriate tab ( or ).
- Within the "SIS Instructor Info" channel, select .
- Select the semester for which you want to enter grades, and then the desired class.
- Verify the term and roster type (e.g., ).
- Enter grades in the "Roster Grade" fields. Alternatively, you can
- If you want to assign a grade of
FN, you must enter a value in the "Last Date Attended" field. Estimate the date if you do not know it. If the student never attended, enter a grade of
FNN, which does not require a date to go with it. The system will not let you enter a date in this field that is not within the term-begin and term-end dates.
- Students who dropped during the 100% refund period will not appear on the roster.
- There will be a placeholder grade of
ZZfor students who are taking IU classes through another university. No further grade is necessary for these students.
Note: Save your work often as you enter grades into the application. Thebutton is at the bottom of the page. If your session is inactive for more than thirty minutes, it will time out and any grades entered but not saved will be lost. If you have limited time, enter a partial roster, save it, and return to it later. next to the field to display a list of
valid grade values, and then select an appropriate grade.
- If you want to assign a grade of
- Verify that all grades have been entered and are correct.
Note: If you are acting as a proxy, you won't have access to this button. You'll need to notify the faculty of record that you have finished entering grades. The faculty of record will then need to log into OneStart, navigate to the grade roster, and click.
Once you have approved the grades, you can no longer edit them. To make changes to grades after they have been submitted, contact the Office of the Registrar at 812-855-0121.. All students
must be assigned a grade before you click this button. If you click
without clicking , you have not submitted your grades.
- You can tell whether your grades have been successfully submitted by checking for a message at the top of the roster that says "Grades have been submitted to the Registrar". Approved rosters are posted overnight.
Entering grades from a prepared file
To enter midterm and final grade rosters from a prepared file, follow the instructions below for using the Load from File tool.
Note: Load from File may not be available at all IU campuses.
Preparing the file
Important: Before loading, the grade file must be in the following format:
- It must be comma-delimited.
Note: Every university ID in the comma-delimited file must match a university ID in the grade roster; grades without matching university IDs will be ignored.
- The first line must indicate whether the grade roster is
for midterm grades (i.e., MID) or final grades (i.e., FIN).
Note: It is unnecessary to enter grades for students for whom a grade is already assigned (for example, a grade of W for withdrawn or a grade of ZZ). Attempts to replace the existing grade with a different one will be ignored.
- All additional lines must be formatted with University ID, course grade, and, optionally, for final grades, if it applies to the student's enrollment, a Requirement Designation Grade (i.e., S for Satisfied, or N for Not Satisfied).
- The University ID must contain leading zeros in order to match
the grade roster. Here is an example of a load file:
FIN 0000011111,A- 0000022222,C+,S 0000033333,FN,N 0000044444,B 0000055555,I
Note: Do not enter a Last Date of Attendance when applying an FN grade. Enter the date after the upload, when validating the grades. If you try to add a date, the record will not be loaded.
- If the file does not contain "FIN" or "MID" on the first line,
or if the value does not match the roster type, the following
error message will be displayed:
"Invalid File. First Line of File must be MID for Mid-Term Grade Rosters or FIN for Final Grade Rosters."
Depending on whether the file is for midterm or final grades, you may receive one of the following error messages:
"Invalid file. Grade lines must be as follows: EMPLID,GRADE[,S/N]."
"Invalid file. Grade lines must be as follows: EMPLID,GRADE."
Using Load from File to enter a prepared file
To use Load from File to enter your prepared grades file, follow these steps:
- Complete steps one through four in the section Entering grades individually,
Note: If you navigate to a roster in Self-Service before rosters are generated, the link to the roster will be inactive.
- Click .
- Click to locate your grade file.
- Once the filename displays in the textbox, click
"Loading X Records out of Y Read. Would you like to continue?"
Clickor . .
The system will attempt to load the file. The following message,
where "Y" is the number of records in the file and "X"
is the number of records loaded, should appear:
- Click . Verify that all grades are loaded, edit as necessary, and then click .
If you do not see the appropriate tools tab, then your Network ID has probably not been associated with the necessary role (Faculty or Staff). This will most likely happen if you are not an official IU employee, but are accessing OneStart through an affiliate account. You can solve this problem, and access the proper tools tab, by opting into the correct role. For more information, see ARCHIVED: In OneStart, how can I opt in or opt out of roles?
If, after accessing the appropriate tools tab, you do not see the "SIS Instructor Info" channel, then your Network ID has not been added to the correct Active Directory Services (ADS) group. Contact your local Support Center for assistance; see How do I contact each campus Support Center for IT help?
This is document apvh in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-08-18 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.