For ArcGIS at IU, how can I correct the error message "Cannot find SERVER hostname in network database"?
At Indiana University, if you receive this error message while attempting to run ArcGIS, it means your computer cannot see the specified license server. To correct this error, follow the instructions below.
If you are running ArcGIS on the Central License Service, confirm the following:
- The DNS suffix in your computer's local network is
uits.indiana.edu. For instructions on adding DNS suffixes, see In Windows 10, 8.x, and 7, how do I change the DNS and WINS server IP numbers?
- Your computer is on the IU network, or you are connected to the IU VPN.
- If your computer uses a static IP address instead of DHCP, you must have a reverse lookup record for your computer; see For a computer in Indiana University's ADS domain, how can I register a DNS reverse lookup (PTR) record?
- Your computer's firewall is not interfering with its ability to see the license servers. To test this, turn off your firewall, and then try to open ArcGIS. If ArcGIS opens, contact your network administrator to find out how to enable your computer's firewall protections without disabling ArcGIS.
This is document aqsc in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-06-04.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.