ARCHIVED: Managing your IU affiliate accounts
Getting your initial IU affiliate accounts
Individuals not associated with Indiana University may still be eligible for technology accounts as IU affiliates. Affiliate accounts must be sponsored by an IU faculty or staff member. For more information, see About sponsoring a computing account for an IU affiliate.
To request an affiliate account, faculty and staff members should follow the directions below:
If you have already been sponsored as an affiliate, you can create your first IU computing accounts by using the Account Management Service (AMS). You will need to use your last name, your birth date, and your full 10-digit University ID number (UID) to log into the service.
Your initial affiliate accounts will usually include a Network ID account, which allows you to create and manage other technology accounts as well as log into certain university services; an ADS domain account, which allows you to authenticate to university resources; and an email account on the Cyrus or the Exchange mail systems.
To create your initial IU affiliate accounts:
Note: You will need to know your 10-digit University ID number to create your initial accounts.
- Go to the Account Management Service.
- Click .
- Enter your last name, date of birth, and University ID number in the fields provided. Click .
- The AMS will display the Guidelines for Appropriate Usage, which
are rules and policies for IT account use at IU. After you have
read the Guidelines, enter
Yesto agree to these policies, and then click .
- If you have multiple roles at IU (e.g., if you are both a student and a staff member), you will have to select one role to be your primary affiliation at IU. Select the role you want, and then click .
- From the available options, select where you want to receive
your IU email. Faculty and staff should choose Umail account (Google). Graduate and professional
students are eligible for both Exchange and Umail; you can only
create one account during initial creation, but may choose to create
an additional account later.
Click. ; undergraduates should choose to create a
- Enter the passphrase you want to use in both fields. For information on selecting a valid and secure passphrase, see About your IU passphrase.
- Next, you will enroll in the Passphrase Self-Service Reset
System. If you forget your passphrase, this system will allow you to
reset it yourself without having to visit a Support Center walk-in
location in person.
Either select a question from the drop-down list, or enter your own question. Type and re-type the correct answer in the fields provided. Clickto enter further questions, to a maximum of ten.
Once you have entered at least three questions and answers, you will have the option of clickingto complete your enrollment.
- Click if you want to print a copy of your account information. To end your AMS session and close your browser, click .
Getting additional IU affiliate accounts
Other IU accounts available to affiliates include accounts on certain Unix clusters. For more information, see What computing accounts are available at IU, and for whom?
To create additional IU affiliate accounts:
Note: Only full-time faculty or staff members can request group and departmental accounts.
- Using a web browser, go to the Indiana University Account Management Service at:
- Select .
- If you're redirected to the Central Authentication
Service page, enter your IU username and passphrase, and then
click . (If you're creating accounts for your group,
departmental, or student organization account, enter the username and
passphrase associated with that account.)
Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- On the left, under "Select a service", click .
- Under "Select an account to request", you'll see a list of
accounts for which you are eligible. Use the
corresponding radio button to select the account you want, and then
Note: You can select only one account at a time, but you can create more than one account during your session (see steps 7 and 8).
- The request process for some computing systems will require you to
enter additional information. If prompted to read, acknowledge, or
provide additional information, follow the on-screen instructions,
fill out all required fields, and then click
Note: For example, if you're eligible for a Big Red II account, you will need to supply additional information, including an acknowledgment that you understand your responsibilities regarding the security of electronic protected health information (ePHI), and your agreement to cite your use of the system in any published papers..
- After you've submitted your account request, you'll be redirected
to a page listing your active computing accounts and the status for
each. When "Current Status" has changed to
Created, the corresponding account is ready for use.
Note: Depending on the system, you may receive an email notification when your account is created. This message may also include important usage information, such as instructions for accessing the system, regularly scheduled maintenance windows, and links to support resources.
- To create another account, on the left, under "Select a service",
Otherwise, to end your session, close your browser. again, and then return to step 4.
Changing your IU affiliate account passphrase
To change your IU affiliate passphrase:
- Close all applications other than your Internet browser, and log out
of any phones that function as clients for UniCom.
In your browser, if you're using the Account Management Service, in the left column, click. Otherwise, go to the Passphrase Maintenance page at:
- In the first field, enter your Network ID username; if you want to change the passphrase to a group or departmental account, enter the username of that account instead.
- In the next field, enter the Network ID passphrase.
- In the last two fields, enter the passphrase you want the account
to have. All accounts associated with the Network ID will be set to
this new passphrase.
For information on selecting a valid and secure passphrase, see About your IU passphrase.
- Click .
Resetting your IU affiliate account passphrase
If you have forgotten your passphrase, you can have it reset and thereby get continued access to your IU technology accounts. Affiliates have two options to have their passphrases reset:
- In person: Take a photo ID to one of the UITS
Support Center walk-in offices. You will need to know your Social
Security number or your University ID number. Once a consultant has
confirmed your identity, allow 20 minutes for your passphrase change
For more about walk-in support, see How do I contact the Support Center at each IU campus for help?
- By mail: If you cannot visit the Support
Center, you may obtain a Passphrase Change Form at:
Print this form, fill it out, and either mail it to the address indicated on the form or fax it to 812-855-0354, attention VALID. A new passphrase will be generated and mailed to you in approximately one week.
This is document ataq in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-09-10.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.