ARCHIVED: In Microsoft Outlook Web App, how do I use the Out of Office Assistant (vacation mail)?
Note: OWA has the same functionality across major browsers in most cases. For help using OWA, with your Inbox displayed, click(the question mark) at the top right.
Note: For more robust control of the Out of Office Assistant, including setting up mail forwarding rules, use Microsoft Outlook.
In Microsoft Outlook Web App (OWA), the Out of Office Assistant (vacation mail) option allows you to collect messages in your Inbox while you are out of the office, and to reply automatically to incoming messages.
The Out of Office Assistant can notify people who send you mail that you are out of the office and cannot reply immediately. The auto-reply feature will notify each sender only once, even if you receive multiple messages from that person, and can be configured to be active only while you're away from your office.
On this page:
- Enabling and disabling the Out of Office assistant
- Configuring the Out of Office assistant to reply only to messages from IU users or your contacts
Enabling and disabling the Out of Office assistant
To enable the Out of Office Assistant:
- In the upper right corner of the OWA window, click , and select from the list of options that appear.
- In the resulting window:
- In the Premium Interface, on the left, click and then, to the right, click .
- In the the Light Interface, on the left, click .
- To disable the Out of Office assistant, on the
right, select .
To enable the Out of Office assistant, on the right, select. You have several options:
- To set a time frame for the Out of Office auto-replies to begin
and end, check
- Next to "Start time:", use the menu to select the month and day, and then the time you want the Out of Office Assistant to start sending the auto-replies.
- Repeat this procedure for the "End time:".
- To send a different message to users outside your organization,
. Then, choose from the two options available:
- (Use this option to send the reply to senders outside of your organization but in your Contacts list.)
- To set a time frame for the Out of Office auto-replies to begin and end, check
- Compose the auto-reply in the text boxes provided; you can also send a different message to external senders. The Premium interface provides font and paragraph editing tools; the Light interface provides only a text field with no formatting tools.
- Click .
Disabling the Out of Office assistant
To disable the Out of Office Assistant, in step 3 above, select , and then click .
Configuring the Out of Office assistant to reply only to messages from IU users or your contacts
To configure the Out of Office Assistant in OWA so that it does not reply to all senders, but only to those who are either from IU or who are outside IU but in your contact list:
- Enable the Out of Office Assistant; see Enabling and disabling the Out of Office assistant in this doc.
- Check .
- Select .
- Click .
Note: You do not need to enter a message in the second text box labeled "Send a reply once to each sender outside my organization with the following message:".
This is document avrq in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2012-11-07.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.