Handling Imail or Umail login problems
If you are having trouble logging into your Indiana University Imail or Umail account via the web, first check that you are entering the appropriate credentials (i.e., username and password or passphrase) for the interface you're using:
- Go to the Imail Sign in page.
- In the "email@example.com" field, enter your Imail address (e.g.,
usernamewith your IU Network ID username).
- In the "Password" field, enter your Imail vendor password (i.e., not your IU Network ID passphrase).
If you forgot or don't know your Imail vendor password, see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail? Resetting your Imail vendor password does not affect your IU passphrase.
- Umail: Use your IU Network ID username and passphrase to log into interfaces hosted by IU; use vendor-specific credentials to log into interfaces hosted by Google:
Use your IU Network ID username and passphrase to log in via the IU Central Authentication Service (CAS). This lets you access your IU Umail mailbox without re-entering your IU username and passphrase.
- IU Umail home page
Log in with your IU Network ID username and passphrase.
- Google Gmail home page
In the "Username" field, enter your full IU Umail email address (e.g.,
usernamewith your IU Network ID username).
In the "Password" field, enter your Umail vendor password (i.e., not your IU Network ID passphrase).
If you forgot or don't know your Umail vendor password, see At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail? Resetting your Umail vendor password does not affect your IU passphrase.
Other access methods
You can also try one of the following alternative methods to access your account:
If you're still having trouble, consider the following:
- You may need to clear your web browser's cache and cookies or switch to a different browser (see "Browser support" in Feature comparison of Imail and Umail accounts).
- If you have graduated from IU, most likely you will need to access your Umail account from the Google Gmail home page.
- When logging into your Imail account for the first time, use
Iuplus your ten-digit University ID number (e.g.,
Iu##########) for your "default Imail password". The default password is case sensitive. You will be required to change the default password to a new one.
- In Umail, if you select IU Umail home page, you'll be redirected instead to the Google Apps for Indiana University page, and you won't be able to log in with your IU passphrase. If this happens, use your Umail vendor password to log into the Google Apps for Indiana University page, and then change the default view back to standard. , the next time you try to log in from the
If you're still having trouble, check the following, in order:
- Make sure you have entered your login credentials correctly and that your
Caps Lockkey is not on. You can try changing your IU Network ID passphrase.
- You must have cookies enabled for Imail or Umail to work properly.
For Imail, you also need to have Java enabled. Check your browser's help for instructions.
- If you are using Umail, you may need to unlock your account using your IU username and Umail password. For instructions, see Why can't I access my Umail account from my mobile device, or a POP or IMAP email client?
- Check whether your account was created successfully; see How can I view my personal or group UITS computing accounts? Look for an account on Imail or Umail. If you don't see one, click , and follow the instructions for creating a Umail account.
Note:Students may no longer create Imail accounts. Umail accounts are available only to students; faculty and staff must create IU Exchange accounts.
- If you have a personal firewall set up on your computer, you may need to change some settings to allow access to Imail or Umail. Consult the documentation for your firewall software.
- If you are connecting through an outside Internet service provider (ISP), check with your ISP to see if a firewall or any blocking measures could be preventing you from accessing Imail or Umail.
- Spyware on your computer may be blocking access to Imail or Umail. Follow the instructions for your security software to run a scan and remove any harmful programs.
Note:For recommendations about antivirus software, see Recommended antivirus software at IU.
If you're still unable to log into your Imail or Umail account, contact your campus Support Center. When you do, provide an alternative email address, if possible, so a consultant can contact you via email if necessary.
This is document awth in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-05-23 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.