ARCHIVED: At IU, for ArcGIS 9.3 and earlier, how do I correct error messages about the sentinel superpro hardware key?
When you try to launch ArcGIS software, you may see this error message:
"The sentinel superpro hardware key has not been installed on this system, or has been removed."
You may also see this error message if you check the display hardware key status:
"The superpro driver appears to be installed and running. However, the hardware key does not appear to be plugged into a parallel port on this system."
Depending on how you access ArcGIS, follow the appropriate instructions below.
ArcGIS on a laptop using a sentinel key
At Indiana University, if you see the error message above, check to see if your sentinel key is parallel port (i.e., printer port hardware). If it is, email GIS Support to exchange your old hardware key for a new USB sentinel key.
If you have a USB sentinel key and still see the above error message:
- Make sure your sentinel key is plugged into the computer. Install the the latest Sentinel SuperPro driver for Windows.
- Unplug the sentinel key and plug it back in. This causes the computer to look for the updated driver for the hardware key.
- Restart your local license manager service: From the menu or the desktop, right-click (XP) or (Vista), and then select .
- Double-click , and then double-click .
- From the list of services, right-click , and then select .
- Close the
Computer Managementwindow. Try opening ArcGIS to see if the problem has been fixed. If not, email GIS Support.
Remote Desktop access or virtual machine access to ArcGIS
If you attempt to access ArcGIS (licensed by a sentinel key) using Remote Desktop Connection or a virtual machine, you may see the above error message. ESRI reports this to be a known issue with ArcGIS 9.2 License Manager running on Windows XP.
The simplest solution is to upgrade to ArcGIS 9.3 with 9.3 License Manager; see ARCHIVED: At IU, how do I install ArcGIS Desktop 9.3 for use with a local license? If that is not possible, you can revert to ArcGIS 9.1 License Manager. Your 9.x license file will work with all 9.x version License Managers (9.0 through 9.3). Note that 9.1 License Manager will not work on Windows Vista.
To revert to 9.1 License Manager:
- Unplug the USB hardware key.
- From the menu, click either , or and then .
- From the Control Panel, go to , and remove . If it is listed, remove as well.
- Reboot your computer.
- Install ArcGIS
9.1 License Manger and browse to your
.efl9file when prompted.
- Turn off your computer, and then plug in the hardware key while the machine is off. Then, turn your computer back on.
- From the menu, select , then , then , and then . You will then see a driver version and the hardware key number in the resulting window; this should be 5.x.
- Try opening ArcGIS to see if the problem has been fixed. If not, email GIS Support.
This is document axni in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-06-25.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.