Using lynda.com at Indiana University
On this page:
- The lynda.com agreement
- Personalized learning experience
- System requirements
- Accessing lynda.com with an iOS device
- Accessing lynda.com with an Android device
- Technical support
- Session timeouts
- Closed captioning
- Instructor use of lynda.com in classes
- Searching for content
The lynda.com agreement
lynda.com provides online video-based training on a wide range of IT topics, in addition to software, design, and business skills. The service offers video-based eLearning courses on more than 1,700 topics, with a primary focus on Adobe, Office, and open-source applications and technologies, as well as multimedia and web development, and programming.
Although lynda.com is ordinarily offered to anyone for a fee, through an agreement between Indiana University and lynda.com, lynda's rich course content is available free of charge to IU students, faculty, and staff through June 30, 2016. The features described below give you a personalized learning experience.
Personalized learning experience
The lyndaCampus service gives IU students, faculty, and staff a more personalized learning experience when using lynda.com. Its features include:
- Playlists: Playlists allow you to build collections of courses you want to watch. You can build playlists of courses around any topic that interests you, and share your collections with other users; for instance, faculty and instructors can share playlists with students in their classes. To learn to use this feature, see Introducing lynda.com playlists from lynda.com.
- Take notes: To use this feature, play any lynda.com video and simply begin typing your course notes. Everything you write will be linked to a video and time code within a course, so you can jump back to review at any point. Edit your notes by clicking them. For more, see New Learning Feature: Take Notes! from lynda.com.
- Queue: Using the queue feature, you can create a list of courses that interest you, prioritize them, save them for future viewing, and track your course completion progress over time. For more, see Introducing new lynda.com queue feature from lynda.com.
- Bookmarks: You can use bookmarks to mark courses, chapters, videos, and even specific sections of videos for later viewing or reviewing. For more, see New lynda.com site feature: Bookmarks from lynda.com.
- Course history: Through the course history feature, you can view a list of every course you have taken since IU implemented the lyndaCampus service (April 17, 2013). Your most recent courses will appear at the top of the list, enabling you to easily pick up where you left off. For more, see New feature: List of last-viewed courses is now on the home page from lynda.com.
- Certificates of completion: When you have viewed all the movies in a lynda.com course, you can earn a certificate of completion demonstrating your completion of that course. You can then share these certificates with professors, supervisors, or prospective employers. For more, see Check out the Certificates of Completion video that explains how it all works from lynda.com.
- Choose your player: lynda.com videos are compatible with Flash, QuickTime, or Windows Media Player, allowing you to choose the movie player that best suits your needs. For more, see Choosing the right video player for your needs from lynda.com.
- Communications preferences: All IU students, faculty, and staff can sign up for lynda.com's monthly newsletter, new release notifications, and special announcements and offers. For more, watch Updating your member profile information and Setting your news and email preferences from lynda.com.
Note: If you regularly access lynda.com from the same device and browser, you may not have to log in repeatedly.
To find the most current system requirements for using lynda.com, see System Requirements.
Accessing lynda.com with an iOS device
To access lynda.com with an iOS device (e.g., iPhone, iPad):
- Download and install the lynda.com app.
- On your iOS device, tap .
- In the lynda.com app, tap the menu (hamburger) in the upper left, and then tap .
- On the "Log In" screen, tap
iu.edu, and then tap . , enter
- On the next page, enter your IU Network ID.
Note: While you can access your playlist and course history through the app, it does not currently support the following personalized learning features: bookmarks, closed captioning, transcripts, playback speed (2x), free content, or admin functions. The lynda.com product team is looking into these limitations.
Accessing lynda.com with an Android device
To access lynda.com with an Android device:
- Download and install the lynda.com app.
- On your Android device, tap .
- In the lynda.com app, tap the menu button in the upper left, and then tap .
- Above the username and password fields, tap .
- In the box labeled "type the URL here", enter
iu.edu, and then tap .
- On the CAS authentication page, enter your IU Network ID.
For troubleshooting, see lynda.com's Frequently Asked Questions.
If you can't resolve your issue at the link above, contact your campus
Support Center; you can also reach lynda.com
technical support by phone toll-free at 1-888-33-LYNDA
(1-888-335-9632), or by email at
You can also use the contact form 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for technical support. Include the following:
- Your computer type
- Your system profile (i.e., your operating system)
- A list of the applications that run automatically at login
- Your connection speed
- Exact details of the problem
lynda.com will look into the problem and contact you via email or phone.
A lynda.com session times out after 30 minutes of inactivity. If this does not appear to be the reason you are timing out, see the Technical support section above.
Closed captioning is available on newer lynda.com courses.
Instructor use of lynda.com in classes
Instructors at IU can either assign lynda.com tutorials to students, or point them to the lynda.com Online Training Library. Using the playlist feature described above, instructors can compile playlists of lynda.com courses that they want their students to take, and then share those playlists with their students.
Searching for content
Use the search box on the lynda.com home page to search for specific courses. Click the link to the course you want to explore, and then read the titles of the chapters in the course to find the specific topic you are looking for. You can launch the desired video training module by clicking the chapter title.
In addition, newer courses have closed captioning enabled; you can search the closed captioning text to find training modules that mention a specific topic.
This is document aywb in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-09-08.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.